"School catchment" - makes no sense

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by fl360, 6th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

Errr it’s business

wilso8948 likes this.
  2. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

That's a broad generalisation. The ATAR is important, however there are many other facets of schooling that parents also place importance on. Some have mentioned social status, but there's also difference in access to facilities, co-curricular activities, social justice programs and industry connections that are difficult to measure but can have significant impacts on your child's future.

I've been working at one of the top independent schools in Sydney, and went to a public selective school for education. I might be biased, but it's quite eye opening in terms of the differences. For example, we regularly have senior management figures (including CEO's of some of the most recognisable Australian and international Fortune 500 companies) come give talks to our Year 11 and 12 students. For some parents, this type of stuff is important regardless of whether it's actually effective.

"Good" schools usually have more resources targeted at developing your child's academic skills, social skills, emotional skills- which is important because other schools may have similar resources but are forced to divert them to managing student behavioural matters, may be under staffed etc.

My personal opinion is that the "good" schools provide more opportunities for growth and development, and this belief is widely shared among parents who then buy in these areas. From a market perspective, higher demand whilst supply remains the same = higher prices.

luckyone, Cia, Rugrat and 5 others like this.
  3. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Surely this is an exaggeration. Show me a two sold results of comparable houses near the boundary line that is around 50m apart that is zoned to different schools. That 1 mil is not just because of school zone. Actually the more expensive a property/area is the less important the school zoning is. 2 Mil plus PPOR buyers would generally go private (or at least for high school)

Suze39 likes this.
  4. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

fl360 - interesting read and it's a different way of looking at things, that's for sure.

But I'm afraid people won't do it. They will follow the crowd and go to the 'good areas'. It's the easy thing to do since everyone else does it (e.g. their friends will be doing it), and people will say it's a good idea.

5. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

It’s not about the education. It’s about the connections your child will make. Their friends’ parents will be the top Drs, lawyers, directors, CEOs etc.. in society.

Friends from high school tend to be friends for life versus those from university.

Cia likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I find the opposite is true. Had a better cohort at uni than school.

Cia likes this.
  7. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Some of these families sound miserable.

C-mac likes this.
  8. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

I am not comparing "next to each other", I am comparing say Epping NSW (good school area) vs say somewhere in the Sutherland shire (no good school). they are same time and distance to city, have trains, however large price differences.

in terms of friends, what I have found is that in 10 yrs time, they tends to spread out across Australia / the world, you spy on them in facebook but that's it.

my post is about if families need to overstretch themselves because they want to be in that school catchment area...., that's sad.....

9. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

One solution: Just rent in the catchment area..Period!

On a side note, 900K as a price premium to pay? Bah! if your child gets into Law/Medicine as a result, calculate how long it takes you to "recoup" that amt:)

One child? May or may not be "worth" it? 2 or 3 or 4 kids? Definitely:)

My personal opinion only (you may choose to Ignore!)

luckyone likes this.
  10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I think Glen Waverley is famous for empty apartments rented by people who actually live elsewhere. The school threatened to send people to door knock and check the student actually lives there....

The Y-man

Suze39 likes this.
  11. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Wow! Did they actually do it or just threatened? Was any student ever evicted?

On a sidenote: i have a Reverse problem; all my kids made gifted class (they call them Opportunity Classes or OC here in Sydney )...these classes are in schools NOT in my home catchment area; it was a real headache for me as i dilly dally when the time came to decide for each child....

12. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Epping NSW vs Sutherland Shire - like Apples vs Oranges

No comparisons - just ask Brisbane people - North or South? ;)

13. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

A bit of ancient history. I was chosen to attend opportunity class for years 5 and 6 back in the 50's. It meant travelling from Greenwich to Artarmon on the train. For me the opportunity classes were great, they allowed me a freedom to learn in my own way and a range of experiences that I would unlikely to have had access to otherwise. Whether to go depends on the child but the opportunities they offer are worth while. While it meant not going to school with my friends, we were still in close contact through sport, cubs etc.

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I just checked their current website:

1. Staying with a relative or friend does not qualify as "permanent" residency. Guardianship is not a criterion for enrolment unless supported by the relevant papers endorsed by the Family Law Court.
    2. It is the family's responsibility to immediately notify the College if details (including residential details) change during an enrolment period. The College must also be immediately informed when details change after the student has commenced at the school.
    3. When assessing enrolment applications, Glen Waverley Secondary College may make the following enquiries to verify the information provided about a student's permanent residence:
      • Checking the electoral roll at an Australian Electoral Commission office or the Victorian Electoral Commission head office.
      • Checking with a real estate agent.
      • Checking whether the contact landline phone number provided is registered to the residence provided on the enrolment form.
      • For a rental property which is a studio apartment or a one bedroom unit, checking whether there are any regulations/codes limiting the occupancy of these apartments to one person per apartment.
    To assist schools in verifying a student's permanent residence when assessing enrolment applications, schools may request parents/carers to provide supporting documentation. The enrolment application may not be accepted if the requested information/documentation is not provided.

https://www.gwsc.vic.edu.au/page/187/Enrolment-Information

The Y-man

Suze39 likes this.
  15. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Strange and sad things can happen with students attending the "best" schools.

Many years ago I was at a function and got chatting with a father whose son attended a private school. Told me the head honcho in charge of Year 12 mentioned it was the first time in a few years none of the students were on anti-depressants. He also recounted the tale of two who were very able but pressed by the parents. One, apparently deliberately, failed every exam and the other scored in the 99% but went to uni in WA to get away from his parents rather than move to where his brother as he was expected to do.

Then there were the parents who were so proud of their very talented musical child who would achieve great things. Last time I saw the kid it was outside a shopping center busking to fund the heroin habit from the look of the marks on the arms. Mum and Dad not so proud I would guess.

Maybe it could be a good position to be careful for what you wish for with your kids.

Mine attended public.

wilso8948 and wylie like this.
  16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

So did you leave any money in tin as you walked past,as that happens a lot in the private school system and public and very sad to see..

17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

As much cash as I had on me at the time.

And bad stuff can happen. What the parents expect may not eventuate. Gees, high flier academic parents were totally devastated when their one and only didn't follow their path but became a horticulturalist.

My kids mixed with a variety from public schools, private, home schooled. And some of them were scarily bright. In general conversation with their parents I didn't get the impression the kids were pushed to go in any particular direction.

My late wife would have gone ballistic if anything such as that were suggested as what we should do.

willair likes this.
  18. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Private school kids might get expensive drugs. Selective & Public might get cheaper drugs. It all depends on the kid themselves and who they hang around with.
    I would rather them hanging around with kids who are academically driven. I can take care of extracurricular activities.

19. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

I am like comparing better areas of Sutherland shire, like Sylvania (waters), Oyster Bay, Como, Lilli Pilli, etc … to Epping NSW.

think about it, if you have a family, but no school age kids, which areas would you rather live ?

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Fair enough! Well, when you have no school aged kids, go live in Sylvania Waters, Oyster Bay, Como, or Lilli Pilli :)

qak likes this.