Saving Money in Sydney story. I can see why she can't save.

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by wylie, 1st Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've not read past the first part of this story, but my first reaction was that these "regular expenses" are eating up a LOT of her salary...

Regular expenses:
    • Gym payment: $45/week
    • Phone bill: $120/month
    • Health supplements approx. $110/month
    I'll read the whole story now, but who needs a $120 per month phone bill? I guess that might include payment for a new phone each time she renews the contract? I keep my old phone and my monthly bill is $20. I could get unlimited calls and texts and 5 or 7 gig data for $25 but I don't need that much.

Health supplements $110 a month???

I'm guessing the reader is expected to feel sorry or this person. I just feel frustrated.

A full-time employee logged her spending for a week. Here's where all the money went.

Edit: Have just flicked through to the comments and she is copping a pasting for wasting money on phone plans and mooching off her parents etc. Good.

Adele, Terry_w and jins13 like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Re phone - might include internet?

Gym can be cheaper and the health supplement is almost unnecessary unless he/she is an athlete or something

3. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

They are the same people that whinge about property prices being too expensive. What a joke to have such a big mobile bill and gym payment. I am sure I can get her a $15/week gym membership with anytime fitness and know off the phone bill to $70 to $80.

I know you can't put a price on your health but health supplements for $110 a month? I can see why she isn't able to save. Granted I was eating 2 minute noodles and wouldn't say it was the healthiest option but luckily it wasn't forever.

I wonder what's her version of unexpected expenses'. The new Twilight series or torn jeans that seem to be the trend these days?

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

So without making any real sacrifice she could save for a $500k place in around 4 years with 20% deposit and money for stamp duty.

Simple

Erida, C-mac and Terry_w like this.
  5. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

jetts / snap gyms are like $7-9 a week

phone plans you can get unlimited calls 2gb data think it's $22-24 a month

6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

She saves 50% per the article

7. eskander

eskander Well-Known Member

Mobile: Unlimited calls and 5-10Gb data should be ~$50 p/m
    Gym: Go running at your local park?
    Health supplements: Buy healthy food normally? o_O

ellejay, Sonamic and datto like this.
  8. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

She logged her spending for a week? I've been logging for about a decade :)

$30 Telstra prepaid here, still on the grandfathered Cap Encore plan! >1GB per month.

Edit: just read some comments. Interesting that so many people are offended by how she isn't paying board. Perhaps they (the commenters) are currently doing so themselves, and think its unfair that someone else is better off?

Ted Varrick, datto and eskander like this.
  9. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned with:

"I participated in a particularly emotional activity during the client activation that involved me talking about my feelings. Naturally, I got teary and overwhelmed. The client loved it."

What the hell is a 'client activation'? Are my clients missing out because I'm not activating them?! :rolleyes:

Erida, Adele, Sackie and 3 others like this.
  10. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

On $60,000 a year, she earns $1,153.84, after tax $807.69, weekly spend $450.00, saving per week: around $350.00 That's pretty good.

Not sure if she is paying back HECS.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

But she's not paying board or food apparently. Imagine she drops to a $25 per week mobile plan, chooses a cheaper gym and loses the supplements. That would boost her savings in a hurry.

12. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

DAY 7:
    8.30am
    - My alarm went off an hour and a half ago, but I finally get out of bed. I pop on a bra and some pants and head to the florist to pick up the bouquets I ordered for my mum and grandma on behalf of myself and my siblings. As the eldest, I incurred all the costs. $150.

I one find it concerning that she is going to the florist with just a bra and pants on, maybe she should buy some shirts... If she is wearing a shirt maybe she shouldn't put the bra on top of her shirt then.

Also $150 for flowers (lions share) for 2 bouquets, bloody hell! I bought my wife flowers on the weekend and spent $30 and we aren't complaining about money.

I could get 2 bouquets easily for $150 total not share.

Danyool, mrdobalina, S.T and 3 others like this.
  13. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Agree - she's doing well and especially not having to contribute to household expenses (lucky her!) The gym/phone/supplements are a tad better than the $100-150 per week some others her age binge-pour down their throats every Fri/Sat night :D

14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Maybe some new mumbo jumbo the media company do:rolleyes:
    Your client might missed out seeing you crying if they hate you!

Cut that phone to 30 per month
    Gym to 20 a week
    Remove supplements $110 permonth
    Rent nearby a station that's 40 mins train to city - save $70 petrol per week
    Save 80 mins a day travelling back and forth.

15. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

She is over the threshold so she is paying HECS as well.

$54,126 – $60,292- 4.0%

16. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Yes, I realise that she saves 50% but she also mentioned that she has 'unexpected expenses', and that's what worries me. Whether that's a need or a want, but if she is able to still save 50% consistently, my hat's off to her.

I reckon she could tighten her budget some more.

Jacque likes this.
  17. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

She's a better saver than me when I was 26!!! I would pay down that HECS as much as possible. $50K is a lot. I think she's still doing a pretty good job there. And she freelances for $10K. So she's trying to boost her income while maintaining a lifestyle that isn't extravagant.

18. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

People shouldn't have to give up a Range Rover, designer clothing, having enough data to update Facebook whenever your boss isn't watching, weekly taxi to and from the city for the girls night out etc.

The govt should ban negative gearing so strugglers can afford to buy their first house within 10km of the city.

Sea Eagles88, chylld and Blueskies like this.
  19. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I have around that amount too Larry! Damn LLB being expensive and only have electives now, thank god!

20. House

House Well-Known Member

Strange, I'm pretty much the male version of this! $60k pa, no board, $120/m phone bill (new iPhone on 2yr contract)

No car but I go to the gym ($12/wk), bus and train it to work that's an hour away, probably eat twice as much as she does but still manage to put away $750-800/wk.