Save A cup of coffee...

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by albanga, 13th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

So after reading yet ANOTHER story about how cutting out the daily coffee can save you thousands, I just felt compelled to write this post.

First up why is poor coffee continually made the scapegoat for peoples inability to save money? Its like when your footy team loses a game and you straight away point the finger at the same player regardless if they had a blinder....still their fault.

Straight up though I love coffee and I'm sure on this forum I'm not alone. But to classify it as just a drink and "cut it out" IMO is extremely short sighted.

Let me tell you what it means to me.
    When I'm heading into another day in the office, particlurly on a cold Melbournes morning it's the thought of the beautiful hot coffee with that coffee aroma that gets me through the morning commute.
    It's having a quick chat to my barista and then when I'm reading over my morning emails, looking at the day ahead it's my mate coffee that pretty much helps me get ready to tackle the day.

My wife also loves coffee, maybe more than me! We calculated on average we spend $70 a week on coffee, or just over $3,500 a year...Bargain!
    Yet some people wil say, that's a holiday! Firstly it isn't much of a holiday and secondly y would I possibly want a 1 week holiday over something that brings us both joy daily??

I know some people will argue, make your own. I've got a coffee machine, pod machine and kettle. My coffee is simply not as good as a professional barista and more so why would I waste 10 minutes of my morning doing that when I can pay someone to do it for me?? What's my hourly rate..more than $3.50 for 10 minutes I can assure you.

To the point though I really feel people who look at a pure dollar value on a lifestyle choice are shortsighted. I'm using coffee as my example but it applies to everything in life.
    I've read people on here say "y buy a big TV, get a cheaper small one and save $600..." are they serious?? That bigger TV makes them happy! What about when all their mates come over and they watch the game together, it brings happiness and after all what is life about??

People say "eat at home instead of out!" I look so forward to eating out and spending quality time with my wife twice even three times a week. Yeah we could stay home and save $100 but be far more miserable for it.

What good is money if you don't enjoy it? What are you scrimping and saving every single dollar for??

But this is what baffles me the most and where I'm heading with all this. People will cut costs, budget, not enjoy life and save every cent and then they "invest" with no idea.
    Hang on?? You have made sacrifices for years but then you'll just go blindly purchase an OTP in inner city Melbourne??

Here is an idea, how about instead of cutting the Coffee and night out with the wife and using the 2 hours you will save educating yourself? U know what I'm doing if I am waiting for my coffee....read this forum.
    You know what I'm doing when the wife is getting ready to go out...read a book, obtaining knowledge sure beats the hell out of going supermarket, prepping and cleaning. I'll happily trade money for the time I can better utilize.

So most definitely save money where you can people. Be sure your paying the least amount on your bills, insurances, groceries (don't skimp on quality though).
    But don't sacrifice the things that make you happy! That happiness has far greater benefits than the dollar figure you think your saving. Leverage of others and use the time you have more wisely.

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

People who don't drink coffee don't have more money.
    In fact people who don't eat out don't have more money

I enjoy both. Love the lifestyle and I'm smart enough to just make more money. ;)

Gypsyblood, Gockie, MTR and 5 others like this.
  3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Obviously the reason that it's often pointed out as a potential cut is clear: It's a non-essential luxury that many people spend a lot of money on.
    Similar to say foxtel, but more people (especially in Melbourne) would drink their daily coffee and as it's only a small amount per drink, often people won't realise how much it actually adds up to.

If you can afford it and you're aware of the overall cost, then there's no reason not to indulge in it, however you have to be aware that it is and indulgence.
    However if I hear people complain how they don't have enough money while sipping a coffee (and ideally having the smoke at the same time), I just think to myself: "What an idiot!"

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Wise words. If you can afford a takeaway coffee and it brings you pleasure, then do what you want. Nobody is judging you. Those who judge "anyone" who does this are not going to stop and put themselves in your shoes.

There were times hubby would spend all weekend renovating and say "I'd love a beer" and I'd tell him "we have $5 in the bank until payday Thursday". We couldn't afford one small bottle of beer, let alone a six-pack.

At that time, we had one IP but I wasn't about to sell a whole house to buy a six-pack of beer.

Time has woven its magic and we can afford what we want, when we want it. So, I do believe that it might come down to the specific financial situation of the people making the judgement as to whether what "you" do is what "they" would do.

I say enjoy the coffee. It clearly brings you joy.

Joynz, Gypsyblood, House and 2 others like this.
  5. spludgey

Yes, yes they do.

Often people that can least afford it spend money on luxuries, while affluent people became affluent by watching the pennies and letting the pounds look after themselves.

I think it might be worthwhile reading The Millionaire Next Door.

pippen, Eric B, BKRinvesting and 2 others like this.
  6. wylie

... and I would add that, obviously, there are plenty of people who simply waste their money rather than invest it anywhere. Many people just have never learnt financial intelligence, and very often it is not their fault. People don't know what they don't know.

I get annoyed when you see people drinking and smoking whilst their kids run about with no shoes. But then... I'm judging them and I shouldn't.

pippen and WestOz like this.
  7. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I do acknowledge your point of view.

Personally I do have an amount to spurge on,but I have to respectfully disagree with some points because I believe that we all work hard for our money and if we can save money by negotiating for a better rate or deal, better to do it than do nothing about it. I quite like making my own food because at least I know what's in it. Besides the savings you make on some things can lead to a better holiday with loved ones or to use the money to further invest in assets that's going to grow for you so we can ultimately leave the workplace.

I am fortunate in that I have a couple of colleagues who own their own home outright and are surging now ha ha

8. wylie

Really, it comes down to making your own choices and being comfortable with them.

Hetty and spludgey like this.
  9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. No one is forcing you not to go out with your significant other or the cafe.

spludgey likes this.
  10. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Yes there is millionaire next door attitude and then there is tight arse, who will die a tight arse and still have no money.

A good saving plan is more important than not valuing yourself enough to have the things you want.

Invest_noob, Cactus, Bunlee and 2 others like this.
  11. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I feel you may have missed the point of the post.
    Your putting a $$ value on it and classifying it as an indulgence...many lifestyle things and their benefits cannot be so easily measured.

Cactus and Xenia like this.
  12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I'm getting it :)

13. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Not trying to be rude @albanga but thinking your strategy and mentality would be very different if you were starting out.

TheGreenLeaf likes this.
  14. pommy

pommy Well-Known Member

I have been thinking the same thing. I.e. the constant mental effort of scrimping is detrimental to investment and success.

The only exception I'd say is if you don't earn much and every penny really counts.

OTOH some quick phone calls to utilities suppliers or switching things around e.g. Foxtel to Netflix is an easy way to automatically save money. The best call I made was switching from fixed to variable interest in 2013.

WattleIdo and Xenia like this.
  15. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

It all good if you simply live within your means.

pippen, balwoges, Blacky and 4 others like this.
  16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Exactly - holding onto money because it's precious or sacred is not wealthy thinking. It's poverty thinking.

There is nothing precious about money.

The entire idea of tithing is to create a mindset of abundance.

Money is nothing, the mindset is within yourself. You believe in your ability to create it and enjoy it and invest it. It works for you not the other way around.

pommy and dmb1978 like this.
  17. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Agree completely, life is short. By all means work hard towards your goals but if you spend so much time scrimping and saving for the elusive carefree retirement that you aren't even guaranteed then are you really living now? There has to be a good balance - live in the moment but prepare for your future.

Bunlee, albanga and Xenia like this.
  18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

So I'm out to take my girls to dancing classes, get a double shot macchiato with my cousin while we are waiting for the girls to finish, take all kids out for lunch right after then go and watch a dogs purpose tonight with our good friends who also have 3 children the same age as ours.

Why? Because I love the lifestyle money can create. It's not scarce it's abundant!

big max and albanga like this.
  19. spludgey

I am a tight arse. Not an extreme one anymore, but definitely still a tight arse.
    For example, when I go shopping, I always go to Aldi first and only after that, I go to Coles to get what I couldn't at Aldi.

To me though, being a tight arse makes life more enjoyable, not less.
    Every now and then, I buy luxuries for example I had five $9 beers yesterday or bought a new head unit for my car that was around $500 once you include cameras and things.

You seem to think that because a person is a tight arse, their life can't possibly be as full as yours, which I don't think right at all.

Not having a go, but to me, it seems that you're trying to justify a luxury as a necessity.
    Again, it's fine to have luxuries and I'm not trying to stop you from drinking coffee, but for me it is and always will be an indulgence.

pippen, Marg4000, albanga and 2 others like this.
  20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I am finding Woolies are bringing prices down to compete with Aldi.
    The shelf prices are slightly higher than Aldi, but when you use the 5% discount available from RACV/NRMA/Homeloans etc, we have found things like block cheese and bacon cheaper than Aldi. Coles ahd 700g free range on special in the past month also cheaper than the big A.
    Interesting times.

The Y-man