Salisbury North SA - Renovating duplex

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by John Faughner, 4th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John Faughner

John Faughner Member

I have a property in Salisbury North SA, which due to recent issues with lower socio-economic tenants, I am considering a small reno to give the place a facelift (without overcapitalising) in the hope it might attract a better clientele.

I know it would be good to have a new kitchen (the kitchen is pretty awful), a paint, and polish the timber floorboards. I recently retiled the wet area at back (toilet, laundry, bathroom) and resurfaced the bath.

There are lots of these old duplexes in this area. I think they were all built in 50-60s as part of the Edinburgh Defence expansion (and the establishment of Elizabeth. They are all the same pattern, small living room at front, three bedrooms down the side, kitchen, and laundry/toilet/shower in bath at the rear. They are one big blocks, and if you own two, you can develop three new houses on the land. Unfortunately the abundance of land and the carefree (read care very little) attitude of tenants can lead to back yards alternating between drought and jungle.

I have been to see a few where the wall between the front room and the kitchen area has been removed to give a greater sense of space. The duplex adjacent to mine has had this done, and the tenant is gushing with praise.

My question is, are there any builders/tradies in that area that are expert at doing these sorts of renos (with good history of client satisfaction), that I could call upon to get quotes etc.

I want to keep the property as it has been positive cash-flow, and hope the future population growth in the Adelaide area will pay dividend in 10-15 years. Please keep negative responses to minimum—have had plenty of that myself recently with non-payment of rent, police involvement, fires in back yard, broken doors, handcuffs and dv. Thanks

2. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Can't recommend anyone at the moment, as my trades are busy on my property :)

But good work on taking action with reno, I really think it will help you secure better tenants - best of luck.

3. kayla

kayla New Member

Hi John,
    Did you receive any help with the above? Im a renovation consultant and I have worked with some very good trades for many years. Happy to help if you still need.
    get in touch - www.fruitfulhomes.com.au
    kayla