Sales authority period

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Gypsyblood, 24th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Hope you are all doing well and keeping safe! I am helping a friend sell her property as you do, and I have found her an REA she likes. She's now signing with them but I have noticed that they are putting in an exclusive sales authority for a 100 days with an ongoing authority period of a further 30 days. Its private sale and this is for a suburb that seems to currently be selling within 30 days. I would say this is excessive? Should that be shortend to 30-60 days tops and no ongoing authority period? I like the guy and all but just incase it doesnt work out..

Thanks for advising.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be making it 30 days, maybe 60 at the most.

Sackie and Gypsyblood like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We always make the first contract for 42 days (6 weeks). That gives the agent time to prove they are worthy of an extension if necessary.

And we always make it a “sole” agency, never “exclusive”. The reason being that if events force a change of mind, we are not charged full sale commission.

Soy, Stoffo, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

100 days is a no. Agree 60 at max.

Your friend holds all the cards. If the agent doesn't like your terms, say adieus.

They will give in quicker than two shakes of a duck's tail.

Hopefully she's negotiated a competitive commission.

PinkPanther and Gypsyblood like this.
  5. Gypsyblood

Hi @Marg4000 apologies, whats the difference as the contract itself stated exclusive and i didnt see any option for sole agency?

6. Gypsyblood

I did for her.. 1.8% + gst for upto her ideal price (750K) and 2% + gst for 30K or more than her best selling point

Sackie likes this.
  7. Gypsyblood

And no ongoing authority to sell right?

8. Gypsyblood

I also noticed that he didnt put the sale price below upload_2021-8-24_18-0-38.png

But he put it here:
    upload_2021-8-24_18-1-43.png

9. Marg4000

“Exclusive” means that the agent gets commission for any sale within the contract period. Or if you take the house off the market for any reason. Or if your friend decides to buy an hour after you sign the agency agreement.

All agents automatically ask for this without telling you the alternatives, as it it more advantageous for them.

“Sole” agency gives the agent the sole right to market and sell the property, I,e., no other agent can be appointed. But - they only get the commission if they find the buyer, or if the sale is a result of their advertising.

Ask the agent to explain the difference. If they won’t, find another agent.

Observer, gman65, Soy and 5 others like this.
  10. Gypsyblood

Many thanks @Marg4000 I am getting them to change to Sole. Thank you!

Marg4000 likes this.
  11. Marg4000

The chances are higher than 99% that it won’t make a difference - they will find your buyer.

I just like to keep agents on their toes and let them think I know more than I do!!

PinkPanther, wylie, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  12. Gypsyblood

Yes I dont want to annoy them but at the same time I did advocate for them over a few other based on their responsiveness and they know I made a case for their selection. So I think will be okay.

Marg4000 likes this.
  13. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

I have used similar pricing model in the past, however, you need to to be aware of the proceeds to the Seller just above and below the $780,000 price point. (ie, Proceeds= Selling Price - Commission).

You will find the Seller is better off by approx $735 if the property is sold at $779k rather than at the targeted $780k.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  14. Gypsyblood

Lockdowns killing the selling mojo

15. Soy

Soy Well-Known Member

Thank you for the thread.
    The commission here in Bris seems quite high. The lowest rate offered so far is 2% plus GST (with 4+Mil property).
    Has anyone in Bris been able to negotiate a lower rate, thanks ?

16. heartsproperty

heartsproperty Well-Known Member

Up here the going rate for everyone is 2.5%

Best thing I could suggest in Brisbane, is that if you are selling a house worth 4mm and the agent is willing to charge only 2%, I'd go to a higher tier agent. They have the success to back it up and usually refuse to go lower than 2.5, typically charging 3.

Soy likes this.
  17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We’ve never negotiated and it was always 2.5% + GST.

Then the “boutique” agents entered the frame and they charge 3% + GST.

We’ve sold through one such agent (lives in our street) but at “mates rates” which were 2.5. This agent didn’t realize we wouldn’t have listed with him at his rack rate.

I know a lot of agents so tend to have spread the love around but going forward we will list with the one agent we trust above all others. I’ve no idea what her rate is but I will try to negotiate if it is higher than I am happy with.

A developer friend negotiates lower than 2% and that’s what I’ll aim for with our next sale.

Soy likes this.
  18. Soy

Soy Well-Known Member

Thank you for your comment.
    The agents I have approached are named agents (with backup success I guess) and they all offered me a discount rate without me asking. May be I have not yet met a higher tier agent. Could you suggest one or two please. Ta..

19. Gypsyblood

Hey all, just a note, it sold. For 750K, the amount they were looking for in 4 days. 30 day settlement, no conditions.

I would have kept it there for longer and seen what i can achieve in a week or two, but they didnt want to, so we sold and moved on. Thanks for your help in deciding this!

Stoffo and Westminster like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.