Saga with Djokovic

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Observer, 6th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Allow Djokovic in to complete at AO?

Poll closed 13th Jan, 2022.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    74.2%
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You could also just stop posting in the thread?

2. Simon Hampel

Like it or not, this saga isn't going away any time soon.

That bastion of truth, The Sun newspaper in the UK is running this article:

Djokovic in talks to sue Australian government for £3.2m for 'ill treatment'

Insiders say the damages figure includes the £2.3million prize money the world No 1 expected to have won.

A source close to his agent Edoardo Artladi said: “It’s well known that Novak and his family feel he was poorly treated in the quarantine hotel in Melbourne.

“His mother revealed how it was full of fleas and maggots. He was kept a virtual prisoner.”

Lawyer Toma Fila added: “He was subjected to humiliating treatment. He should sue.”​

3. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I bet he will struggle to prove this, cause it didn't happen.

I've seen the news where other refugees posted pictures of maggots. I'm sure it's real, I've got no reason to doubt it. But I'm also sure it's probably like a 1/1000 thing (granted, even this is too high, but it's beside the point). The point is what are the chances he was served one of these in the short amount of time he was there.

The truth is the mother in law probably read the same thing I did about the maggots and just assumed her son was going to experience that too.

spludgey likes this.
  4. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Right...... defenders of truths, body choices and freedoms are not driven by money and greed. I vaguely remember a lady who once sued the government saying she is only doing it for the people and will donate all the money once she wins. She won. And, if I am not wrong, she donated nothing.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Ah .. The Sun. Had never let the truth get in the way of a sensational "story" before. Why start now?

Marg4000 and kierank like this.
  6. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Djokovic to sue Australian govt for $6M

Novak Djokovic in talks to sue Australian government for $6 million over ‘ill treatment’

He is going to win more money than Australian Open no.1 prize.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Only if he wins - if not then he's up for more legal expenses. Doesn't know when to let it go, admit the mistake and learn the lesson, does he?

kierank likes this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Just because he “expected to win” does not mean it was a certainty.

balwoges likes this.
  9. Noobieboy

Can argue that 9 wins is a trend...

Allegedly his annual income is USD38 million. So it will be play money to pay for legal. What annoys me is that he thinks he is entitled to more money from Australian purse, over the time, effort and cost that he already costed this nation.

kierank likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

If he loses he'll have to pay Australian government costs (already did with his last two attempts) ... don't think the government would go into it with a couple of two bit lawyers.

I am curious - where would he take his case? It's already been the the highest court in Australia - I guess it'll be a new case, with a different direction.

Why bother? as ... unless he was actually mistreated ... and not just mistreated by Novak's high standards by not having a fully stocked bar and he had to suffer with the mini bar only ... then he has no chance of winning

wylie likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally I think he's beyond stupid for wanting to take it this far.

Potentially jeopardising your career long term over this is nonsensical. He may be a brilliant tennis player, but imho he's not too bright an individual. Unrelenting pride has destroyed many a person.

Last edited: 20th Jan, 2022
    Gockie, kierank, Lizzie and 3 others like this.
  12. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Novak seems to be living in a completely different world where he thinks he can push governments around using very expensive lawyers. He still thinks he can sue Australian government for $6m and set a precedent for other governments planning to block him from playing in their countries over coming months.

He has taken on a very wrong fight and it will likely finish him as a tennis star but it’s really his own arrogance (and misguided support from a very dysfunctional family) that is bringing his downfall.

kierank, Lizzie and Noobieboy like this.
  13. Noobieboy

I don’t think he is a citizen of any EU nation. So unlikely to be European court either. Might be here over a different topic as you mentioned.

What people from overseas don’t understand is, unlike the US, we are a much less litigant society with courts generally applying the “no profit from litigation” rule fairly seriously. So you don’t see huge payouts like in the US.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. Sanka

Sanka Well-Known Member

He has every right to sue given he was given a visa, told to fly down by TA (effectively his employer in this scenario) and then humiliated. Logically its obvious he was hard done by with these sequence of events through no fault of his own. Fact he kept his mouth shut for so long and didn't rip into anyone publically has just increased his legacy. I don't think he should sue for prize money though, just for the humiliation suffered unnecessarily due to incompetence.

15. Noobieboy

Right. If I get stopped at border and checked every time because I look like a Colombian overlord, should I sue Australian government and get taxpayers contribute to an already good income I’m having? That will make me such a good role model. The people being sued here include teachers, nurses and pensioners. Sure. Let a rich guy get a bit more at their expense. Totes fair.

Struggle to understand the logic that is so bitter, so angry and so vindictive that some would rather see a foreigner sue their government and rob taxpayers, for pain and suffering.

kierank and Lizzie like this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We also don't have the "if you throw enough lawyers at it" legal system either. Any attempt at frivolous actions or court choking will not be met pleasantly.

I suspect this is merely a case of hurt pride and perceived humiliation ... neither of which are for the court system in Australia. If there is anyone he should take on, it should be TA - but that would potentially see him blackballed from the game worldwide, and won't make a skerrick of difference to "being allowed to enter" a country

kierank likes this.
  17. standtall

This is the ‘uneducated’ version which a lot of Novak fans seem to present without knowing how border matters actually work.

Assume I wanted to travel to QLD in December. As an Australian citizen, visa wasn’t required so let’s move on to online declaration which was fairly automated and my answers weren’t tested for truth and I was given an ‘entry pass’. However it didn’t guarantee entry to QLD and the police could have refused entry if I couldn’t prove I had proper documents (proof of vaccination and negative PCR). This is exactly what happened in Novak’s case so why he should have been treated differently?

qak, Lizzie, kierank and 1 other person like this.
  18. standtall

This is exactly what it is .. No court in the world has jurisdiction over Australian immigration laws other than Australia’s own courts and his only remaining option is Australian High court where he is very unlikely to get a case listed as there is not much ground for further litigation given broad ministerial powers referenced in federal court decision.

He could sue Tennis Australia in a European court for the body misleading him into believing he could actually play unvaccinated in Australia and Tennis Australia actually deserves to lose the case for their role in creating this mess.

spludgey and Lizzie like this.
  19. standtall

His only real option is going to ‘Judge Judy’!

Noobieboy, Lizzie and kierank like this.
  20. Simon Hampel

It could also just be a media beat up too - the source was the Sun news paper afterall.

Nothing like a bit of click bait to keep the debate going (this thread is case in point).

wylie, Lizzie and Noobieboy like this.