Rough cost to remove asbestos fragments from subfloor

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Zoolander, 7th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Hi PC team,

Quick one. A building report for a house I'm looking to buy says there are 90% likely to be asbestos fragments in the subfloor. Anyone know how much this might cost?

Have attached a pic from the building report - doesn't tell show much unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Only a site quote by a licensed contractor is likely to address this.

And even if its a rental the cost will not be deductible under the asbestos rule. The issue is an initial repair.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The cost depends on whether it’s just putting on a mask and picking them up for correct disposal or whether the soil needs to be removed (much more expensive).

4. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Was the practice of the time to throw that stuff under the house. What’s the actual problem? Is there laws that state you must remove it, is it friable, etc

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Very common to leave small off cuts under the house, or dumped at the back edges of the property under what became garden beds.

I just removed the bits under my house and in the garden beds myself. A P2 mask, a spray bottle, gloves and some thick zip lock bags. Collected about 1.5 to 2 kilos over the years.

Took it all to the local asbestos place for disposal just last month.

Zoolander likes this.
  6. Zoolander

Hi TSK, the building inspector flagged that the sub floor has non-existent ventilation. Possible asb fragments laying around paired with better ventilation sounds like a bad combination so I'm curious about the cost of removing these fragments. Don't think there's a law that asbestos has to be removed - it seems like something that'll help for peace of mind.

7. Zoolander

Any chance you've got a photo of what these cut offs look like? Or distinct traits I should look out for? I got no clue to this stuff so any photos or descriptions would be much appreciated as something I can watch out for in future inspections of older homes

8. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

There is asbestos under every house, somewhere.

Joynz likes this.