Root tree in main pipe - Video Footage

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by andy ngo, 11th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. andy ngo

andy ngo Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone

We got root tree in our main sewer line as you can see in this video:

Plumber quote $4500 to cut the concrete the replace with new PVC pipes, is there any other solutions
    that we can use to fix the issue ?

do you know any plumber in western sydney that I can contact and get quotes?

Thanks
    regards

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2021
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Water jetting with a heavy duty blaster (not a residential type). It will still require some degree of maintenance to stop it blocking up again.

3. andy ngo

They clear it twice but it's still happening. they suggest to cut concrete and replace the pipe. do you know any good plumber in south western sydney? thanks regards

4. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

That price seems not too off. Contact brett at Seinors Plumbing | Fantastic Service, Great Rates, Expert Advice.
    A great plumber and good human being.

5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Why not do the digging yourself. Hire a jackhammer and go to town. Also do the root removal yourself. Both easy jobs. Then all you need the plumber for is a simple pipe fix which should be cheap.

6. PeterCr

PeterCr Well-Known Member

I think if the Jetblast works and the tree roots can be removed it may be a cheaper option.

We had similar issue - while the costs did not come as high for a concrete cut and new Pipes - we got the Jetblast done - costed us around $200 and now we have scheduled an annual jet blast to cut any new roots. I think @200 per year - it will be a while before the full replacement may become necessary.

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

We're facing a $14,000 job to fix pipes at one of our IPs due to massive tree root damage at a junction. They will actually be relocating the entire segment of drainage to prevent problems in the future.

We're also having to pay for an arborist to try and get permission from the council to remove the tree - it's causing all sorts of problems elsewhere on the property too and will continue to cause problems with the drainage if we leave it there.

We've been avoiding dealing with the "root" cause of the issue for many years now by having a plumber clear the blocked drains. Hate to think how much we've spent on plumbing in recent years trying to keep them clear.

The main issue with the cost is the extent of the damage (junction - not just pipe) and the fact that it's on steeply sloped land, so they will need to do all trenching by hand. The total fall is probably approaching 10m - not a trivial exercise.

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I've done this (well the plumber)....we were getting a recurrent blockage at an IP every 4-5 months and finally had a gutfull. I think it cost around $2.5-3K or so to do exactly what you're describing. Get 5 quotes at least and hopefully, it'll come in under $3K.

And deal with those tree roots as well.

9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I think councils need to relax the rules re: tree removals inside the perimeter of a property.

Frankly, in typical 300-600 sqm suburban blocks, there's no valid reason why we need tree species that tower beyond 8-10m. There is a place for trees in an urban environment of course but the standards and penalties are OTT.

Pingu1988 likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many Sydney councils modified their tree rules in past 2 years after so many home damage claims. A tree within 5 metres of any part of the dwelling is now exempt from application (used to be 3m and still is in some councils). There is also the gnereal 10/50 tree and vegetation rule in NSW which may allow a tree within 10m to be felled. Only "arborists" can remove trees as they all know the rules. DIY is a breach. Keep proof of the distance and go to town. Mine took a selfie with tape measure. We live in Hills Shire and found that recently. Had visible roots up to 12" dia barely on surface all ground up. Our was gone in 24 hours and the roots at 48 hours. A absolute mess where they did that of course.

I was suprised how cheap it was for the removal. Should have done it years ago. 5 metre high and a 18" trunk around $650 all up incl stump grinding and roots. Fast forward three weeks and we have landscapers who removed all turf and ..a few more roots. This morning they had an axe at another root they found that was around 8" dia. It was heading to stormwater but didnt get there.

Choice of planting is wise to consider as in time you get no ability to correct it. I dont want 8-10m trees but am re-planting hedging species that grow up to 3m. I dont get why anyone would plant a eucalypt on a resi block of land.

Here is a site that summarises most councils : Tree Removal Council Regulations (TPO) | Search by City Not sure if its up to date as Hills Council is outdated. Also note some specifes are exempt. Many wrongly assume all trees are protected. Thats where arborists can quote and advise.

Propin and inertia like this.
  11. andy ngo

I have gotten quotes form pipe relining companies

1. $5000 for 4m
    2. $5500 for 6m
    3. $5500 for 5m
    3. $3500 for 4m

I have chosen the cheapest and get it done. I have decided to go with pipe relining solution as it is easiest and cleanest solution and they guarantee the job for 25 years. I have concerned the problem may come back if we replace it with PCV pipe

12. Simon Hampel

Does that guarantee also cover damage by tree roots?

13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Who's liable if an arborist chops a tree down if you relied on their advice on whether its legal/illegal?

14. Simon Hampel

One presumes they have insurance for that.

Would be important to ensure your arborist is appropriately licensed and it's probably a good idea to understand what insurance their licensing requires them to hold (if any). I've not dealt with arborists in NSW, so I don't know what the requirements are.

15. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Hi Team, I am on phone so will upload videos later but in nutshell, did the cam inspection of drainage pipes and the main that connects to council arrangement (approx depth 1.7m) has some cracks, some shrub roots (hedge plant) and at few places pipes aren't aligned. Plumber believes the drive way is uneven due to water washing away the clay/soil etc.

Got a quote of approx $9200 for excavation, replacing old tera cotta pipe with pvc, crushed rock/blue metal and compactor to make it solid.

Above price doesnt include relaying pavers/small garden bed (existing set up). Approx length 10-12m and may be 1m wide (digging).

Will get more quotes but any recommendation is helpful

16. Never giveup

Here is a clip

Attached Files:

17. Never giveup

@andy ngo

May I please ask the company details you have dome this work

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Under council rules it is the aborist who must only cut down the exempt tree/s.