Roof sarking?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Emboon, 19th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Emboon

Emboon Well-Known Member

I'm not much knowledgeable but is this roof sarking peeling off?

Imgur

Can anybody advice if this is covered by strata? Or how to fix it?

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Duct tape?

Redwing likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I’ve installed a lot of sarking!

You need to apply the special shiny silver insulation tape that is sold especially for taping reflective foil laminate (sarking).

It is really sticky and most importantly it is reflective, long-lasting and it maintains the integrity of your sarking layer.

I have attached a photo of the tape I use. It will not break down or delaminate, it sticks to wet surfaces, is stickier than cloth duct tape, and withstands a big range of temperatures.

I always grumble at the price - but it is completely worth it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 19th May, 2020
    Lindsay_W, Emboon and Stoffo like this.
  4. Emboon

Emboon Well-Known Member

Thank you! Is it just a matter of taping the edges? Do I need to put anything on the inner part too to stick them up? Apologies for the questions. Just making sure I dont mess it up.

Also what might be the reason that this happens to sarking? I just got whirlybirds installed and not sure if thats what caused it since its near that part.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It looks like it wasn’t taped in the first place. It’s probably more important on a metal roof as the taping ensures the condensation doesn’t drip in the ceiling. But has benefits for tiled roofs too - drafts, radiant heat...

You just smooth the bottom layer over the top layer and run the tape longways along the edge of the overlap so it goes half on each side.

You could hold it in place with a couple of little sections of tape, but replace them when you get to that bit with the tape roll.

Once the edges are taped and securely in place you could run another line of tape offset each side to widen the taped join if you like.

I found that bare hands are best as the tape sticks very strongly to silicone gloves!

Last edited: 19th May, 2020
    The Y-man likes this.