Roof restoration - Vic

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lone_Wolf, 4th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I've been quoted $25.30 / m2 for 158m2 for my roof, does this sound reasonable?
    It's a full restoration, with replacing some tiles, 1 coat of primer and 2 top coats, pointing, etc...

And it's not a standard angle roof, so there is a degree of difficulties.

Thoughts?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Do you have a comparable quote from anyone else? How will you make up your mind?

3. Lone_Wolf

Another quote come in at around $63.29 / m2

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

You realise of course that once you paint a tiled roof you have to keep doing it over time?
    Quotes sound expensive. What does the total amount to?

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe compare the costs for this full reset with the total replacement of a new roof because within 5 years you will have do the same again as a new roof it will last 20 years plus unless your in cyclone alley or a flood zone..Myself I would price up the new roof ..imho...

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

New tile roof would be a bit expy I thought, and a bit of overkill? ;)

I am wondering why people need to pain roof tiles (other than looks nicer for selling) - is it because they are cement? There are many houses in Melb (inner) that are over 100 years old - I believe they still have the original terracotta on them - no paint, probably just the occasional pointing and replacements here and there. Replacement of cracked ones and repointing should be all that's needed IMHO ~ but I could be wrong!

The Y-man

7. The Y-man

8. Scott No Mates

I paid about $3k on a 30 degree roof last year - repoint, cleaning, painting concrete tiled roof. No roofwork had been done for about 40 years, starting to look tired (even renters like street appeal), tiles would hold alot of moisture (loss of glaze) and this adds extra loading to the roof.

Although I'm skeptical of the benefits of painting the tiles, repointing is essential to stop water penetration and vermin lifting tiles to enter the roof space.

Our other quotes were more than double.

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

You are right ,I was just thinking to replace the titles with metal ,but with the 100 years plus properties it would destroy the look of a 100 year old classic house ..In QLD if your in the cyclone alley zones metal will take the impact tiles are a whole different outcome and gives the insurance company more room not to pay out..imho..

10. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Lone_Wolf likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Does the quote include chipped & broken tiles ? And lost broken tiles when they have to trim them ? Some older tiles arent cheap to source. You can expect a fair number of those. eg They can then vary with $12 per tile for each broken tile (they are brittle and not evident until we get up there) so its then becomes $112 tiles x $13.75 (incl GST) = $1,540 extra. What happens if the roof is real bad and its 30% broken ?

The base price is $4K....Does it include GST ? Its not unusual for tradies to give dodgy quotes (+GST). Which breaches consumer law.

Many roof restoration people are dodgy and since you cant get up there you later find a roof leak and issues. If you found them on a telegraph pole I would be very carefully checking licenses before doing a thing and dont pay them until its completed. ACA regularly run stories of the (irish?) gypsy scams incl roof restoration.

12. Lone_Wolf

Quoted price includes GST.
    Quote includes replacing 20 broken tiles
    Our roof havent been touched in 40yrs, we've had some leaking issues and possum/rat issues in last few years, pointing is a must for us.
    Every time it rains, it gives me the chills, so tired of re-painting ceilings.

Option of a new roof, as stated above, I reckon will be loads more compared to a restoration, I understand the paint will fade over time, but it should give me some peace of mind for next few years?

13. The Y-man

I stand to be corrected - but my (extremely limited) understanding was that broken tiles cause leaks (absolutely needs replace), repointing should be done, BUT painting does absolutely nothing except make the paint person make money and the house look good (again good tactics for sales). I even recall reading somewhere that pressure cleaning your (tile) roof is a super bad idea as it dislodged the lichen etc that a actually blocking the leaks - so by pressure cleaining yo open up the cracks so to speak.....(again could be some anti-painting BS I picked up somewhere)

We got our roof repointed, and our roof guy said *nothing* about painting/sealing it (and we do have a fairly nice ecosystem of moss/lichen up there) ~ and the house was built in the 80's. It is glazed TC though, so that might make a difference.

The Y-man

Lone_Wolf likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

A world of difference.

The Y-man likes this.
  15. The Y-man

Thanks - thought it might be the case. In a neighbourhood of cement tiles, not sure what possessed the guy that made our mcmansion go for the TC option (well, he was a builder) but sure glad to hear it then (and the fact he left us some spare tiles out the back too) :D

The Y-man

16. Scott No Mates

@The Y-man, glazed tiles are non-porous/low porosity whereas concrete or older unglazed tiles will increase in their porosity over time and absorb water/moisture. Applying paint to these will reduce the amount of moisture absorbed.

wilso8948 and The Y-man like this.