Roof evaporative aircon

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Freedom Seeker, 4th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Freedom Seeker

Freedom Seeker Well-Known Member

I bought a house in Perth recently and it comes with two aircons, a roof evaporative aircon and a 7kw split system in the living room. The property is worth about $300k which can rent $350 a week. The roof aircon is probably over 20 years and it has not worked for many years. The seals around the connection to the roof have been damaged, which caused roof leak. I got a quote for removing the roof aircon for about $650, including electrical disconnection and reinstating the tiles.The other option is replacing it, which will cost between $2500 and $3000. What is your recommendation?

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

For that price i would just have the unit removed -sealed - and stick with the split system ,as the split system will run more efficient hot or cold..

wylie likes this.
  3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I'm a fan of the evaporative air-con in the right conditions ie dry. When it's hot and dry it's so wonderful to be able to open the windows and doors and keep the air con on low. I love it. I would replace it if there are sufficient funds and the air is dry most of the time.
    Split system can be good but it would be second choice for me. In a small area, split is perfect plus can be ok heating in winter.

Freedom Seeker likes this.
  4. Freedom Seeker

Freedom Seeker Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have decided to take it done.

willair likes this.