Roller shutters Perth :)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by moridog, 4th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

More questions! Wanting to get a quote for roller shutters in Perth, three good sized windows, East facing and making the house horrendously hot. I've booked one quote with a local company but read some alarming hard sell reviews. Anyone have any recommendations for local roller shutter companies, I realise it will be expensive, but need new window coverings anyway so thought I would get an idea. Thanks!

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

No recommendations for supply but I would suggest if also using them for security to get them motorised to a single switch or remote, plus a strong bar across the bottom so they can't get ripped out.

I love-em but hate going around to every window to close-em when I go out, open when I get home (may get around to motorising them one day)

3. moridog

You can get them sync ed to a single switch? Is that the wall cradle, push button device do you mean?

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Don't go for the cheapest!!
    Over east I did a stint making, installing and repairing them. Never repaired any for the company I worked for but constantly doing jobs for "half priced shutters" and another one can't think of atm. The cheapies use the same materials but do quick installs, shortening the life... They're called half priced for a reason! Half assed. And they won't come out to do repairs, you'll find they just install then that's it.

In not sure about who does them over west and the quality.

What type at you after? Manual or motorised? There's 12v and 240v.240v is bloody expensive for a motor! Plus the actual materials are similar but have a different warranty

It depends on the windows and how often you'll use them and personal preference

5. moridog

Motorised and I have no idea about voltage? In the summer they wòuld stay down all day probably, I have tried every other thing I can think of to deal with the heat of the house and if I am shelling out for top of the wozza block out blinds I may as well go for these. Privacy is not really an issue, they do not face any public areas. But, I need the light for Winter sun so they would be raised in Winter and be up all day. In the IP I have with my friend they are on every bedroom, motorised, with a controller thing, looks like you can also "crank" them open and closed. Although not a great look they are fabulous for the heat and we have only just started having issues with one, despite them being quite some years old.

6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Mine either have a crank handle (lge) or strap (sml) (no motors)

I bought my place with them, not sure if there strong quality or not, nothing to compare to, reckon I could rip em outa the track if I tried, sticker on it says Pelican Roller Shutters, Rockingham mob if that helps.

Would you get away (save some $'s) with a retractable awning? retractable awning - Google Search

7. bob shovel

They are ugly but are bloody good! I'm Europe they use them for snow and cold too, they also design the houses differently do the ugly box at the top is built into the eave.

Hand winders will do you, as long as they install properly. The actual aluminium and shutter will last forever pretty much (excl vandalism, graffiti etc)
    That biggest problem is when the guys install of they are rough the actual strap will rub on the brick or timbers and eventually break. Even in warrenty they likely won't come out to fix it.

Double brick I assume? Ask them how they run the strap through, depending on your house it will be done differently. Sometimes we would use a conduit and roller to avoid rubbing inside the wall.

What prices have you had? $1000/shutter? 600-800/m2?? I can't remember numbers so may be off, but they aren't cheap

8. moridog

I never thought of an awning/s. Great idea, I will investigate that too!

bob shovel likes this.
  9. bob shovel

Got a photo of a window?

10. bob shovel

There are some cheap ones from bunnings in a kit now. Not as effective but still a good option, big cost saving! I just checked bunnings

11. moridog

I'm too techno impaired :(
    Double brick, 1800 wide and 2140 high x 3.

12. bob shovel

They're expensive windows! :eek: massive
    Look at the bunnings awnings first... Or brick them up to a smaller size ;)
    Probs 5k at a guess. Worth getting a quote though to see what they say

13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Seeing its outta sight, if ya wanna do it real cheap and see what difference it makes buy some 90% UV shade cloth, staple a length of 2x1 pine to each end, fix the top piece above the window, a catch at the bottom so it don't bang in the wind, can roll-em up when not needed.
    Or make them up in frames so they swing out on an angle, use another bit of 2x1 to hold them out

Old School ;)

14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use Modern, unless you want to be hassled by their marketing arm until your final resting days :eek:

15. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I was trying to think of their name before, wasn't sure if they were still in business, got their hands in everything, dodgy buggers .

They installed a monitored security system in my PPOR for the previous elderly owners, they forgot the master code, modern refuse to supply it

16. moridog

Got scared off by the likely cost, and took the above advice, got two bamboo blinds from Bunnings and hung them on two windows, the third has a lintel? Above it so will need to keep thinking on that. Makes a huge difference to the amount of light. Haven't had a stinking hot day yet, likely today so will keep you posted, had to put bigger hook thingies in than those provided but so far so good. Cheap enough to chuck out at summers end, about $40 each, thanks for the input! Will start painting that wall this weekend, the blinds are kaput ski, they've been there 8 years so I was thinking of having a go at the Spotlight hem it yourself blackout curtain fabric on rods so if you blokes have any experience with them I would love to hear it!

17. bob shovel

I'd think fairly straight forward. Hand the toys and curtains then you'll just need to work out the "drop" (lingo ;)).. Don't cut anything!
    Can you sew? Just work out where you want them to hang down to, fold them up and get some pins to hold it where you want the finished product. Then take them to a sewing place, spotlight maybe?? Or find an alterations place. They'll just sew a straight line so it's straight forward, just using a heavy material instead of clothing

18. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Take measurements (incl drop) to Spotlight and they'll make them up for you.
    Put up a pic and maybe we can help
    Without pic I'm thinking maybe just cheap solutions for now but long term something like this

[​IMG]

Redwing and bob shovel like this.
  19. moridog

Wow! Love that pic! I had no idea Spotlight made curtains so on my getting very busy day off I will head in there whilst waiting for my new tyres to be fitted, been driving on the spare for months. Thank you. Both for that!