Roller Blinds, Cellular, Veri Shades & Roman Blinds.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by melbourne171, 14th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

I have to replace all existing blinds in my IPs. Spotlight gives promotion on Custom Made 40% Off the Entire Range of Made to Measure Roller, Cellular, Veri Shades® & Roman Blinds.

I am wondering which type of blinds best for IP among the blinds above?

2. melbourne171

Did Anyone install Spotlight blinds. Can you give me recommend of specific blind, name, model, sizes good for IP? Thanks

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

If your windows are standard sizes, you may be able to get something cheaper at bunnings.

4. RENI99

RENI99 Well-Known Member

Spotlight also have a lot of fixed sized options for curtains, roller blinds and Venetians of there and often 40% off. You should be able to find something that works in that range and not have to wait for custom made that will be more expensive. Some of their fixed sized blinds can also be shortened to fit. If you go for curtains I would not go with the track option - the eyelets with pole will be less maintenance and the block out ones are good for bedrooms. Roller blinds are likely your cheapest and not too bad from a maintenance perspective.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There is no single answer. Are your windows standard modern sizes? My place has window widths in multiples of 900mm, but modern off the shelf blind widths are in multiples of 800mm.

You can’t attach blind that’s 200mm too wide inside the window frame, or on the top architraves - so I had to add a wider strip of timber above the window frame to attach it to.

Do you need insulated blinds or thermal curtains? In Melbourne that can make a big difference to how warm the house is in winter and how cool in summer.

Warm tenants are happy tenants.

6. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Windowshade Hudson Roller Blind from Spotlight did the job for me

Rich2011 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

(basic) Curtains are the cheapest option, followed by roller blinds then horizontal blinds then vertical blinds then panel blinds. Shutters are nice but very expensive and easily breakable. Personally choose to shop at Bunnings for these items unless it's an upmarket rental where expensive quality stuff is required.

Last edited: 14th Jul, 2021
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I had to add blinds for four townhouses, so it was a LOT of blinds. I'd priced up curtains, blinds, shutters but they just were all to expensive.

We were advised by @Mel Morgan to get a quote from No Bull Blinds. They do a free measure and quote and free installation. I don't know if there is a certain order size to qualify for the free installation.

We are very happy with them, all made to fit our very different sized and height windows. Some are block out, others are semi-sheer to allow in light but hide neighbours seeing in.

We saved more than the other online blind and window outlets and I didn't have measure up or install. Win/win.

Online Quote - No Bull Blinds

Owl, Shazz@, devank and 2 others like this.
  9. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I use No Bull Blinds at least once every quarter for my clients, they're generally very efficient and competitive. The price on their website is also relatively accurate so its good for budgeting (although the online quote only does plastic chain so the physical quote will always be slightly more).

Owl and Michael Mitchell like this.
  10. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Ahhhh window coverings.

I LOVE Spotlight, I get all of my Curtains and Blinds from there. However, I get them all off the shelf- my one experience with "made to measure" couldn't possibly have been worse. We were forced to use custom sizes because these doors were really tall. They were dear as poison, took MONTHS to fit the curtains and communication was abysmal.

I use Hudson Roller Blinds for all windows, they're dirt cheap (sometimes as cheap as $20!) and surprisingly durable. I actually find they last better than the more expensive ranges, and if anything goes wrong... who cares, they're so cheap and easy to replace that it's never an argument.

I'll use Rylee Eyelet curtains over the sliding doors because roller blinds get wrecked over doorways. They're quite a bit more expensive so not ideal for every window, but look lovely. The best part is that they're very nearly blockout but without the stupid rubber coating you can wash them! Eyelets roll smoothly over metal rods so you don't get people yanking on them too, which extends the life of the whole thing. You do usually need to get them shortened because curtain rods are best screwed into the frame (there's rarely timber in the right places above the frame) and Spotlight INSISTS on making all their curtains a 223 drop.

You seem to have already stumbled on the golden rule, but in case anyone else is reading- NEVER pay full price at Spotlight :D Everything is on special every couple of weeks!

Owl, Coen, Propin and 2 others like this.
  11. Bendigus

Bendigus Well-Known Member

Custom blinds from Spotlight are crap. I'd say they are priced 35% above retail and regularly go on 40% off sales etc.

The off the shelf stuff can be be good though. Off the shelf prices are lower and then if you can wait for a sale then they go even further.

As for custom stuff. I'd get a quote from Dollar Curtains & Blinds.

Don't do Honeycomb blinds for tenants. Or vertical blinds. I'd also avoid horizontal venetians too.

I'd stick with Curtains, Romans and Roller Blinds. They can all be installed outside of the frame.

I've had the same issue as Tom regarding the off the shelf Spotlight curtains being too long. But it wasn't hard getting then shortened.

Anything installed inside the frame needs to be very closely fitted other wise it looks shabby. But custom Rollers aren't expensive.

Also don't forget depreciation

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  12. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Any roller blinds from Bunnings with plastic fittings won't last in sizes from 1200mm up. Hudsons from Spotlight are the go for price and durability.

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Good to know. I've bought cheapies from Bunnings on homes that I've sold, but not on ones that I've kept.

momentum26 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  14. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I had an installer put some in one of my properties. The roller mechanism didn't last on the longer ones. They are only good for property sales/flipping.

skater likes this.
  15. lost nomad

lost nomad Well-Known Member

I've used DIY Blinds 4 times now for 15+ blinds.

Got swatches sent for free, pretty easy online ordering portal. Found the staff super helpful. Good prices and made in Australia (Victoria) Waited maximum 2 weeks for delivery. 5 year warranty.

I got a blind made for my office window, there was a tiny imperfection at eye level at my desk. If it was on another blind it wouldnt bother me, but I looked at it all day. They replaced it free of charge no issues at all.

I heard the owner of the business on a podcast, I liked his customer service values and in my experience, they deliver on this.

Shazz@ and Michael Mitchell like this.
  16. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Where can one buy side channel for roller blinds? You would think it would be easy to find…. Ohh so wrong….

17. ozinvestor

ozinvestor Member

I recently bought roller and veri shade blinds from spotlight. I love them because they are the perfect window treatment for my home! My one critique is that Veri Shade Blinds were difficult to shorten which made it hard to install, but once again this was not a problem in Spotlight's end of things so overall I am happy with their customer service as well as quality product offerings on both fronts.

18. melbourne171

I asked the supllier to install roller blinds on al windows and curtains on doors. However, supllier said roller blinds can be used for doors too. For me, it is inconvenience to walk thru the doors if roller blinds is used for doors. Also doors are high traffic locations. Curtains last longer. What do you think?

19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

100% Agreed. Roller blinds get wrecked over door openings because people push them aside to walk through.

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I also would not put a roller blind over a door.