Risks of not getting a building permit?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by albanga, 26th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I am considering doing a structural renovation in my property to remove a small load bearing wall and was curious what the risks would be if I did this without a building permit?

I would still get engineered and the carpenter performing the works has 20 years under his belt so no concern the quality and the stability of the works.

I am selling the house so was more concerned with pre sale such as what happens with a building inspection? Is this something they would look at?
    Also what happens in 5 years down the track if say cracking appeared as a result. Who is liable? And if it were the previous owner then how would anyone know it was not the owner before me?
    For all I know I could be living in the house now that has had this?

I hope I don't sound dodgey! I just cannot justify the extra say $1500-$2000 when I am going to get it properly engineered and built by a quality carpenter.

Brian84 likes this.
  2. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Because you've posted this on the internets.

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

If its within the current external walls go for it, engineer is a bonus.

From my experience building inspector wouldn't notice, their fee would be a waste of the purchasers $'s.

No come back to you 5yrs down the track.

You sound just as dodgey as many others, don't sell used cars do you ;)

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

+1 have a go!
    id also check your council website if they need to extort money out of you for thinking unsupervised within their council boundary

Brian84 likes this.
  5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

lol, buckleys they'd even know about it even if the place was across the road from their office

6. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

haha nah not selling used cars.
    I have done more than I imagine 95% of people doing renos do and that is atleast research and then go to the effort of getting engineering.

I get what building permits and inspections are in place for and the endless amount of DIY shows have a lot to answer for. But when your going out your way to get it engineered, dealing with qualified trades who have been in the business for over 20+ years then having to be dragged through the council ringer just seems like a huge waste of time and money.

Brian84 likes this.
  7. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I'm doing it at my house. If they do ever say anything you can just get it inspected this get a construction certificate.

albanga likes this.