Risk of having all investments with Vanguard

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Humphrey, 12th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yes. I expect You won’t fund any large products without a seperate custodian. Most of the scam products that you read about in the press however....

ChrisP73 and twisted strategies like this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Gotcha thanks :)

twisted strategies likes this.
  3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

indeed , it the past those without dedicated custodians have sometimes succumbed to temptation ( watch out the custodian is truly independent as well )

4. Humphrey

Humphrey Well-Known Member

It never ceased to amaze me how threads go off-topic. I don't remember being senile before starting this thread, but now...?

Thanks @The Falcon. This was the simple answer that I was looking for.

Seriously? Wouldn't that call for removing half of the posts on this site? :) Why am I suddenly thinking of good ol' Dazz? His membership would have lasted about 5 minutes if these conditions applied.

Nodrog likes this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

At last. Many have been working really hard on your behalf to achieve this.

6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Does thread drift cause senility, or does senility cause thread drift?

Anyhow what were we talking about:confused:?

Anne11 and SatayKing like this.
  7. twisted strategies

according to the OP , investing only in one ETF provider ( namely Vanguard ) to the exclusion of other investment options .

now my parents who grew up in the Great Depression , were very much against ' putting all one's eggs in one basket ' , i guess i will never get credit for listening to this one piece of advice

( i hold VAS and VHY and several other ETFs offered by other groups )

8. SatayKing

I haven't the faintest idea.

However, it fits in well with the logic in the post previous to this one.

Nodrog likes this.
  9. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

slightly on/off topic - does anyone hold or have thoughts into the lesser known Vanguard ETFs ?
    fee is higher and this moves towards 'managed funds', not sure Vanguard's experience with that but sounds interesting

VGMF - factor/value investing theme
    VSO - MSCI Australia small cap
    VISM - MSCI International small caps

10. Humphrey

Humphrey Well-Known Member

I hate to see hard work go unrewarded.

Nodrog likes this.
  11. twisted strategies

hold any of the above-mentioned .. NO
    however i MIGHT think about VSO in the future , although i like to cherry-pick my small caps
    i probably would have a problem with VISM as it would be hard to do some research on many included in the portfolio basket ( i like some idea of the stocks investing in )

i have the same disquiet with many internationally focused LICs

VSO is likely decided by a 'secret sauce' computer algorithm ( which is both good and bad ) no analyst bias , and resistant to frothy projections ,

12. SatayKing

STW.AX.png
    What meaningful difference is there placing funds with different product providers when the brown matter hits the air-con?

pippen and Nodrog like this.
  13. twisted strategies

the difference is often infinitesimal but multiplied over 10 years ( or more ) ...

remember ETFs are squabbling about MER savings of 0.1% as a selling point

i chose VAS over top 200 index funds for a specific reason ( not related to MER )

in the next big dip i am more likely to buy MVW , or a top 50 ( or top 20 ) index fund

now the mathematically inclined have pointed out VAS is roughly 2% different to the top 200 rivals but that 2% was enough to swing me

the brown matter will always hit the air-con from time to time while the stock market exists ( well it has for the last 100 years ) , it is how the investor reacts that makes the difference .

another big difference is the outcome the investor is trying to achieve , those with a comfortable net wealth have the option of treading water whenever they choose , those just building a nest-egg are new and need to keep building any time then can

14. SatayKing

Er, no. You have again shifted your reasoning. I acknowledge the reasoning may be sound to you but to few, if any, other investors it is.

You claimed in post #67 it was not wise to invest in one provider. And yet you have various products it would seem offered by one provider (Vanguard). That is contradictory.

You then shift your position and raise fees and in the same post say at the next dip you may consider another provider who offers a top 50 or top 20 index fund or a large blend fund which is very similar to that offered by Vanguard.

For plain vanilla index funds when the index does down so do the funds and if they are of a similar blend, they largely go down to the same extent irrespective of the provider. There is no human intervention in index funds. They follow the index both up and down.

I sincerely wish you all the best in your endeavours but I shall now take advice from another poster and re-configure the "ignore" button and allow others to comment on your statements if they wish.

pippen, The Falcon, ChrisP73 and 3 others like this.
  15. twisted strategies

currently i hold ( in ETFs )

VAS , VHY , ASIA , QFN , BBUS , HVST , IHD , MVB and SYI ( i have exited from IEM and SLF )

with brief forays into BEAR and BBOZ ( and MIGHT revisit them again in the future )

i tend to change my focus ( without automatically selling existing positions ) as i see a glint of opportunity

For plain vanilla index funds when the index does down so do the funds and if they are of a similar blend, they largely go down to the same extent irrespective of the provider. There is no human intervention in index funds. They follow the index both up and down.

and that is both a blessing and a curse of index funds , sometimes an index fund has to struggle to fill redemptions in a speedy manner ( causing them to reduce the holdings in underlying stocks ) again a two-edged sword , selling pressure is selling pressure regardless of whether that pressure is computer generated or human reaction , but the computers are likely to perform the same task in a cost efficient manner

cheers , i wish you the best of luck as well , i think everyone will need some

PS the difference between IHD , SYI and VHY over the last 5 years ( i bought IHD later than the other two ) has been remarkable considering they all aim the scratch the same itch

do index funds vary much in outcomes that would be an interesting problem possibly answered by investor loyalty ( more or less likely to panic-sell )

16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

17. SatayKing

Not your best selfie by a long shot.

Oh, I understand now.

Humphrey, ChrisP73 and Nodrog like this.
  18. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

I must admit I use that button a bit, it's the greatest thing about this forum compared to real life! Fortunately there are few "muppets" in our little enclave.

I have to sometimes show the ignored messages to see what the heck is going on though!

number 5, ChrisP73, SatayKing and 2 others like this.
  19. SatayKing

Big A and Humphrey like this.
  20. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Have done this now, wow what a great feature !!

SatayKing likes this.