RIP Mad Magazine

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 7th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

MAD magazine leaving newsstands after 67-year run

I grew up with Mad Magazine. My father would bring home Mad books for me from his bookshop. And I had a cousin who had a superb collection - I loved visiting their place.

I have a lot of copies myself, although I stopped buying them after a few years. My daughters loved them, almost to death, well before they could understand, or even read them. For a short while, we subscribed to the full colour issues - of course, for my daughter and not for myself.

They ruthlessly parodied anybody and anything. At one stage, a movie threatened to sue them for copyright infringement - until they realised that the parodies actually increased their ticket sales. While they were subject to the problems which all print media suffered in the digital age, their Facebook page became a battleground of people taking the parodies as political leanings, and vowing never to support a magazine which was so nasty to whoever was in power.

They tried changing direction last year, becoming a lot less involved in the political satire, but that petered out.

They will continue to rehash old material, just as they always have.

2. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

I remember the Mad magazine's from when I was growing up in the 80s and them taking the mickey out of the latest pop culture of the day be it movies or personalities,loved the back cover fold in as well.

A selection of Mad Magazine cover's from the 80s plus a first edition cover as well

Mad Edition 1.jpg mad-magazine-cover-dec-1982-620x822.jpg mad-magazine-cover-dec-1987-eddie-murphy-620x813.jpg mad-magazine-cover-october-1984-620x822.jpg mad-magazine-et-spoof.jpg

LibGS and geoffw like this.
  3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

upload_2019-7-7_6-52-41.png

geoffw and LibGS like this.
  4. geoffw

Spy vs Spy wasn't one of my favourites.

I loved Sergio Aragonés, who did marginals in almost every issue of Mad from the time he started (over 50 years), as well as many features. He was apparently incredibly prolific, doing many other comics as well as drawing for Mad.
    Sergio Aragonés - Wikipedia

Redwing likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

My favourite was Al Jaffe's 'Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions'.

It was one of the paperback releases with smart alec retorts to the questions you get when the answer is obvious.

Eg. The police walking in on a safecracker working through all of the boxes in the safe of a bank. Copper asks "Oi, oi, oi! What are you up to?"

Response " Box 207. Why?"

Brickbybrick, LibGS and geoffw like this.
  6. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Yep, was sad to see this article too. I had a collection of Mad magazines spanning most of the 80s and 90s. I am certain they shaped my sense of humour and funnily enough I would go so far as to say they were even somewhat educational. As a child reading them they taught me a lot about global events, politics etc. When I think of historical events now, I can often recall Mad satire about them.

RIP Alfred E. Neuman :(

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

When growing up I discovered my dad's record collection - and he had a vinyl "Mad Twists" - all parodies of current songs, my fav being "let's do the Pretzel".

I imagine it got tossed long ago - wish I'd snaffled it.

geoffw likes this.
  8. geoffw

I remember one which was a plastic insert into a magazine. It had a one verse parody song, which had several different endings, depending on which parallel track the needle landed.

9. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Certainly was a great magazine, sad that it is no more.

geoffw likes this.
  10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Mad magazine has been around for a long time ,and some will become very collectable ..

[​IMG]

Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  11. geoffw

I've just realised the irony of the thread title and thus statement. My daughters really did rip Mad Magazine.

And, unforgivably, they folded in the covers I was so careful not to fold in, as I wanted to keep them in the best possible condition :)

They will be personally collectable. I don't think they will ever be worth much, as the circulation was too big to create a scarcity.

12. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

40AC459F-A5A1-4931-BD0A-BC4B576464FF.jpeg Super special #57 was my first as a very young boy, had a subscription for about a decade from memory!

13. geoffw

IMG_20190707_113044.jpg
    "To sell this magazine we have to be frank. The excessive use of this rubbish can be harmful".

IMG_20190707_112830.jpg
    This is the earliest on I could find with an intact front cover (the back cover is missing). I didn't buy this as an original though. The ones I bought as originals are about a decade older.

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

:( - my boyfriend at the time was into "Judge Dredd" mags, so I missed out on MAD

15. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Couple for you @Scott No Mates

geoffw and Scott No Mates like this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Thanks @Coota9, I don't recall seeing the Starbucks one etc. Were they around that long ago?

There's a special way to deal with stupidity.

17. geoffw

Starbucks wasn't around when I was into Mad.

But I'd guess that one was around 2011. From a few clues in the cartoon. Plus this.
    Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions: Starbucks

18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Well I did come across a box of those magazines when I was clearing out the junk left behind by a tenant who did a runner.

I ended up spending an hour reading them. Some were quite old. They were hilarious. There was one sending up the movie "One flew over the kookoo's nest". It was titled "One kookoo flew over the rest" lol.

They ended up at Easter Creek tip. Maybe should have kept them.

19. geoffw

Al Jaffee was still drawing for them at least three years ago at age 95 - and may still be. He has the Guinness world record for the longest career as a comic artist.
    MAD Magazine comic artist honored for career spanning 73 years

I guess the lesson here is that student loans can take a long long time to pay off.

20. geoffw