Rip kitchen out or paint over it?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ari_X, 15th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ari_X

Ari_X Member

Option 1:
    Rip out current kitchen, put in a flat pack + new appliances. Rough cost $10k+
    Option 2:
    Paint over existing timber cabinets and resurface benchtop + new appliances. Rough cost $3-5k+

Option 2 is definitely appealing and is what Cherrie Barber would recommend but is this possible with such old timber cabinets which don't have handles? And if so, would love to hear how it's possible :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mumbai likes this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

The kitchen i had look a lot worse that that and simple paint job makes it look pretty ok, cost about $500. Where's the budget of 3k coming from? That sounds like new kitchen if the area demand it i'd look for new option :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15th Jun, 2016
    WattleIdo and Ari_X like this.
  3. Ari_X

Ari_X Member

That's brilliant for $500 :)

You're definitely right the suburb makes a big difference...I'm trying to go for a look like the neighbour's. Do you think this will be possible by using paint and other cover ups?

[​IMG]

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Paint for sure. If you're at all handy, it may be possible to cut the handle/lip bit off, sand back and put on new handles. That would look great.

Is the bench top tiles or some hideous laminate? You'll definitely need to paint that too.

Ari_X likes this.
  5. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Absolutely paint over it. Worst case scenario, you hate it, and you rip it out anyway - only loss is some time and very little money.

Is it an IP? Not that it really matters..... I'd still recommend paint first!

We did this with an absolutely hideous 70's kitchen that was painted bright blue. My husband couldn't believe it came up okay with a couple of coats of paint. We left it like that for another six years, at which point we reno'd the entire apartment.

With respect to 'how', all you need to do is coat all the wood with one coat of ESP, which will let anything adhere to it, then you can coat it with whatever you like. With our kitchen I actually just used ceiling white. Very easy to clean up and do any maintenance touch ups.

You could also easily install handles, they're relatively cheap - we've bought them from Bunnings and also online. They do modernise the look as well.

Ari_X likes this.
  6. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Paint it, but remove the old handles if you can and replace with something nicer/modern.

My question.. Where's the oven?!

EN710 and Ari_X like this.
  7. Ari_X

Ari_X Member

Thanks Sam, will definitely add new handles in.

The oven is well hidden!

8. Ari_X

Ari_X Member

Thanks Jess great suggestion can cut off the lip and sand back.

And bench top is hideous laminate, might have to re-surface it or would you recommend a stone bench top?

9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Haha thanks, another options is changing the doors
    NEW KITCHEN DOORS

But not confident that it will be cheaper. Resurfacing the bench top should be ok... Stone ones can be expensive. Last time I checked in Bunnings, it's about $500 persqm o_O

10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I'd resurface - I'm going to do my own shortly with a product called Feather Finish which gives a concrete look. Otherwise there are kits from Bunnings you can buy for a stone look (they don't really look much like stone, more like laminate but better than what you've got currently), or simply laminate paint. Laminate paint might be good as you can then use it on the splash back too.

Replacing with stone is expensive so I'd go the budget route first.

EN710 likes this.
  11. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

On the note of crazy hidden ovens..

Get prices on your appliances first. Not the first time I've had someone assume that they could easily find a replacement to fit the existing cut out and discover it's going to cost a fortune because the old appliances are weird sizes. You may find its easier to just rip it all out, replace the kitchen and install new (cheapish) standard size appliances.

Littlemiss, Ari_X and JenW like this.
  12. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Outstanding advice Lil Skater....we've had that happen too.

Lil Skater likes this.
  13. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

I actually don't hate the timber doors, It's the floors/wall tiling which make it look terrible...that and the benchtop :p

14. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

Agreed; cut the lip off; sand back; primer + 2 coats of laminate paint and you won't even know it had a lip there previously. Then you can put on whatever handle you want.

You should be able to do that sub-$250 with change to spare including resurfacing the benchtop.

The costs will namely be in the appliances if you were going to swap those out?

15. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Mate paint it.

Get a handyman to paint the cabinets with appropriate paint costing up to $ 500

Get some new door handles

The benchtops why do you get some tiles and tile it get some cheap stone tiles or possibly buy laminate sheets and re laminate the benchtops

Laminate sheeting looks quite good

Or replace benchtops

Should cost less than $1000

Ari_X, markson and WattleIdo like this.
  16. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Paint the wall tiles

17. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Why is everyone asking to paint it? It looks good as is(assuming good bones) Seriously.
    Change the wall tiles (splash back) to something light/ white. Also, change the floor tiles or cover it with vinyl planks.

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had a similar timber kitchen that we were quoted roughly $1k to paint white. In the end I ended up doing it myself, inside and out. Remove the lip as others have said, light sand. Coat of 4 in 1 to prime, seal and undercoat. Then two coats on top. I painted the insides as well so that it was fresh inside and out.

New bench top splash back tiles and it will look so much better (maybe laminate bench tops or even large matt finish tiles - I'm told very big tiled tops are currently in vogue).

Ari_X likes this.
  19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Actually, with a good clean and with tiles and bench top in fresh white matt finishes, you avoid having to do minimum three coats and maybe paint out the architraves and any other timber around the area so that the timber itself becomes a feature. Not a bad idea, especially if it is for a short term fix.

20. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Because the question was whether go new or paint :oops: but you are right, clean looking splashback and floor, plus a different coloured bench top would look good. The nechtop seems to have the same as the floor, so I assume current floor is a laminate layer? Maybe take it off and see what's below..