Right direction?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Cabricabri, 7th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cabricabri

Cabricabri Well-Known Member

Hi,

I’ve been a silent member of the forum for a couple of years.

I’m a FIFO worker in my early thirties. I made my first investment in late 2017. I bought an old apartment in Thornbury. It is one of 9 and has no amenities. Unfortunately I can’t see much capital growth and I suspect it hasn’t been a great investment.

For the past two years I’ve managed to save 90 k and I think I can get 70 k more this year.

Conscious that my next property is probably my last shot to start a successful portfolio I’m still debating whether I should invest in Keperra, Brisbane (up to 600k, I’d use a BA) or in a house in Melbourne close to the CBD I can add value too (up to 800k). I’ve found the property below. While it’s pretty unlikely I’ll place an offer as I still have to save up more, I’d like to understand if I’m in the right direction.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-port+melbourne-

I earn 150 k, pay no accommodation and I’m interested in capital growth.
    My goal is to buy a property that gives me good capital growth while compromising on cash flow. I’ll then start investing in ETF to compensate the low cash flow.

Terry_w and Lindsay_W like this.
  2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

It's been less than 3 years - what kind of capital growth were you expecting in such a short time-frame?

3. Cabricabri

I’m aware 3 years is not long. What I meant in my post is that I can’t see any potential for capital growth as it is an apartment.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Apartments do experience capital growth though - Thornbury is not too far from the CBD so I would expect it to get some capital growth in the longer term.
    Could you afford a house the same distance from the CBD?
    The property you posted the link to above, more like a townhouse as shares a roof with other properties, bathroom separate to the main building, could add value to it I guess (cause it's completely run down as is)

Last edited: 7th Feb, 2020
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Surprised to hear - especially if it was an old brick apartment that are common in the area.

Very early on in our journey we bought a 2BR in THY - paid $150k for a 2BR in a block of 7.

The building was beset with issues (big ground movement etc) and we offloaded in a quick sale, but still got $270k for it in 2008. The people who bought off us sold it 2 years later (with some nice refurb) for $390k!! Today about $450~500k?

It's a huge demand area (unless you bough some dud near Victoria rd....) so I really think the CG will be there even in apartments.

The Y-man

Lindsay_W likes this.
  6. The Y-man

Not sure what makes you think that?

The Y-man

Cabricabri likes this.
  7. The Y-man

Cabricabri likes this.
  8. The Y-man

Would not discount bit further out on a bigger block either - keep an open mind. It's a good price range to be looking at, and if I were you, I'd be targeting properties that passed in at auction.

The Y-man

Cabricabri likes this.
  9. Cabricabri

Thanks a lot for your comments. They really help!