Ridiculous reviews

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by jodes, 29th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

I totally agree!! 4 stars is more than generous in a case such as this (and I'm also sorry the host abused you- that's also totally not acceptable!)

ellejay likes this.
  2. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I would give them at most a 4 star for not matching the description and also report them for being abusive. I really don't take that kind of rubbish.
    I read somewhere that Airbnb removes a listing if the rating is below 3.7, not sure if it is true.

ellejay likes this.
  3. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@Ouchmyknees we had about 30 4 and 5 star ratings (mainly 5 stars) and then got one 2 star and one 3 star in a row (on two separate properties) (long story)- Airbnb shut down our listing in response to those two ratings and we had to sign a declaration that we would improve our standards before they would relist us.

4. Ouchmyknees

What the hell? This is unthinkable... I assume you still need to honor your existing bookings despite the listing being taken down? I'm very sorry about that and I'm sure it is not your wrongdoing. :(

5. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@Ouchmyknees it wasn't too bad as once we had signed the dec they did relist us straight away (and we were required to honour existing bookings), but I suppose it does give some context as to why hosts are so neurotic about ratings!!

The 3 star booking, we got 5 in every category but 3 overall as a neighbour had a party one night and our guests couldn't sleep (I wish I was exaggerating ). The 2 star rating, we got 5 stars in every category but 2 in cleanliness and 2 overall- they saw some cockroaches which is inevitable in the middle of summer in Sydney in an old building- and despite us sending cleaners in mid stay to sweep up the two cockroaches (but I do admit totally agree cockroaches aren't ideal)

6. Ouchmyknees

Ouch, I'm constantly worried that there will be bugs make their way into the my Airbnb as it is on ground floor next to a garden:(

For what is worth, if I were you, I probably won't leave a review for these two group of guests so that I won't get a bad review. Cheeky? Maybe, but I'm doing a business and I need to protect myself.

7. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@Ouchmyknees even if you don't give a review, if they review you, it becomes live after 14 days- so there is no way to stop it!

8. Ouchmyknees

Oh, I have no idea. :(

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Really? I have been told that unless both parties lodge reviews then nothing is published.
    Marg

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it had been me, and if I had chosen that place specifically on the basis of it being pet friendly, then they would have been lucky to get one star!
    Marg

ellejay, wylie, skater and 1 other person like this.
  11. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@Marg4000 I questioned myself so had to double check!

How long after I leave a review will it be published?

This depends on whether or not you have already reviewed the guest. You and your guest have 14 days to leave a review for each other. Once you and your guest leave a review for each other, the review is posted immediately. If you leave a review for your guest but they do not reviewed you, your review will automatically be published after the 14 day period expires.

I had a guest who did not seem pleased. If I do not leave the guest a review, can his/her review show up?

Yes, if the guest provides a review for you, their review will either show up when you post your review or after the 14 day review period ends.

Ouchmyknees and Marg4000 like this.
  12. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

you guys are really into getting good reviews. I read their comments but never even look at how many stars, and dont message people about bad reviews. I look at bad reviews as expectation management, if your not 100% 5 star then people will have lower expectations and your more likely to cruise along a bit higher (above 80% to keep superhost) than you otherwise might have. all imo

this is me..maybe i will change my tune when it drops lower
    Overall rating
    Total reviews
    93%
    5 star reviews

ok ok one thing that annoys me a little is the location rating..i state clearly its in the suburbs, need car etc etc, seems a little illogical to complain

Ouchmyknees and Gockie like this.
  13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

While it can be appropriate to respond to reviews, especially bad ones, I've seen some which are very bad, blaming the customer in a public response.

This one is for a hotel- after seeing this response I'm sure I wouldn't want to stay there. I have seen similar in Airbnb.

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 2.46.06 pm.png

14. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I reckon it's a pretty restrained response to what I bet was a very unfair review. It seems the hotel did everything they could to deal with an unreasonable customer.

skater likes this.
  15. geoffw

It may well be fair. But it's not the sort of response which should be a public response. As a potential customer, I get really turned off by the Basil Fawlty customer approach. The response in public could have been much nicer, without the anger and the blame game- leave that to the private response.

16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This is why I like airbnb - they collect the payment upfront from the customer (for stays of no more than a month). No chasing for payments. Other platforms can be a pain in the butt.

17. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@S1mon don't get me started about location ratings- we are 6km from the CBD and state that several times throughout our description- and you can see on the map where we are when we book- so why people continually mark us down for "not being in the city centre" is beyond me...

S1mon likes this.
  18. geoffw

It's not the payment itself that I have an issue with. The payment itself caused a problem, and the problem should have been dealt with far more politely. Not only because the forum is public, but also because a response which shames and blames the customer is very bad public relations. If I had received this, I'd be posting appropriate extracts onto social media. The first half wasn't so bad, but the references to raising voice, bringing innocent children into it, and demonizing the writer were very bad ways of handling customer complaints.

19. Ouchmyknees

I agree, the wall of text just looks petty and not professional at all. I think it is probably a family owned hotel.

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

True. Could have been better. Never good to say the customer is wrong. With airbnb I frequent a forum and you see hosts vent all the time, and some guests are bad. But its always good to be professional.