Ridiculous reviews

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by jodes, 29th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

No, we had limited internet, so contact wasn't that easy.....and we were out most of the time. I just boiled a saucepan of water & used that. On another note, when we went to the USA, years ago now, they didn't have fridges in the rooms. Just an ice-bucket & a large ice machine on the premises for guests to use.

Phar Lap likes this.
  2. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Yep, when in Rome.........

legallyblonde likes this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I understand that the kettle and coffee bits in a hotel room are an Australian innovation, one which hasn't spread as far as it should.

Colin Rice likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

What? An airbnb with limited wifi? Unacceptable....

skater likes this.
  5. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

baking paper, foil and cling wrap are a good idea. and oil. I supply all in mine

6. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

We just got another 5 stars in every category, 4 stars overall- so we wrote to the guest kindly asking them for any feedback- their response...

"I would only recommend another mirror somewhere in the apartment. So you can still do your make-up while someone else uses the bathroom. "

Baffled

7. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

@jodes Is this a new guest with no prior experience with Airbnb?
    I got a 4 star for cleanness and overall 4 star the other day, the guest commented "There is a bit dust under the bed. " which is fair enough, I forwarded the feedback to my cleaning lady, she insisted there is no dust when she cleaned. Which is also fair enough, I don't expect her to say sorry.

8. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Who stays somewhere and checks under a bed for dust? I hope they don't stay in my Airbnb pad.

Chrispy, Adele and jim1964 like this.
  9. Gockie

I've had a guest kick up a big fuss about cleanliness. They said that that the top of the fridge was dusty. Reeeeaaally?

10. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@Ouchmyknees They don't have any other reviews so maybe they are not across the rating system. It just seems so odd that they would give 5 stars in every category but 4 overall because there wasn't a second mirror!

@Gockie We had one guest complain about cleanliness and said the carpets were dusty... our entire apartment is floorboards and tiles so not sure where they got that from?

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think people just don't want to seem to be slavishly giving full stars. I don't know why. We told our most recent AirBnB our thoughts about having an extra blanket separate to their full star rating. I would never have dudded them on a rating due to a personal preference I had, rather than a failing in what they presented to us.

I do think that it might be that people like us have no idea how the ratings work. I recall when asked to give a rating last year I was asked by the person to give highest rating (if we were happy with the service) because anything less than full stars meant she would be questioned by her superiors. I think this was our travel agent, but not absolutely sure. I just recall thinking it odd to be asked to give full stars if we were happy, until it was explained to me "why".

I also think some people want to "keep them on their toes" so don't give full stars. Also, some people want to feel they have some power so give 95%.

That's my thoughts anyway.

12. Gockie

The hard thing is, to get superhost you need 5 stars at least 80% of the time. Plus satisfy a few other criteria like not cancel on a guest during the year, hence the real need for the 5 star reviews... Every review that is 4 star or lower kills your stats.

Last edited: 17th Oct, 2017
  13. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

Exactly this. I think the reason I do get so annoyed with 4 stars is we really do try and go above and beyond in every aspect of our airbnb's- we ensure we respond immediately, allow early and late check in and check out when requested (if applicable), we have decorated beautifully with those extra touches, provide lots of extras such as breakfast, toiletries, etc- we really put our heart and soul into it.., so it's always a bit of a slap in the face when we do get the 4 stars!

Last edited: 17th Oct, 2017
  14. wylie

What I probably didn't say terribly well before, but was meaning, is that perhaps you can leave a notice for guests who, like us with the travel agent, had no idea that anything less than five stars would be bad for her.

I do recall thinking "cheeky" when first reading she wanted full stars, but once she explained the "why" I was happy to give her full stars. I would have done that anyway, but some people just don't want to be "too" generous.

A little note explaining how the star system works might help.

15. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Seems a crazy review system. A while back we stayed at an Airbnb on south coast nsw. It was a nice detached unit in someone's back garden on a reasonably modest housing estate. For the same price we could have stayed in a motel in town 5 min walk to the water. I booked this one because it said it was pet friendly and they agreed in advance we could bring our dog. When we arrived their idea of pet friendly is our dog can't set foot in the unit and sleeps in our car which is parked in front of their house (so we cant even see if she's okay from the unit). Despite this it was a beautifully done out unit and very nice people. I gave them a great written review and just one 4 star rating as I did feel miffed for the same price we could have stayed in town if it wasn't for the pet issue. We could have done that and just let her sleep in the car as she ended up doing anyway. Anyway, learned my lesson about the review system there there with a barrage of abusive emails from the owner. I thought he must be some kind of psycho, but obviously just one four star rating threatened his whole set up. Very unpleasant and unecessary.

16. wylie

Wow @ellejay. That is one time I'd have written something into the feedback. Pet friendly doesn't translate to your dog sleeping in your car.

They deserve to be pulled up on that.

ellejay, thatbum and luckyone like this.
  17. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Me too but they were such a nice family..until the review when he got very nasty. I gave all but one 5s and one 4. It was quite upsetting. I didn't even tell my husband as there was no point both of us being upset.

18. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Haven't stayed in airbnb so probably should not comment.

We did look at Airbnb for a recent stay in Vancouver but were put off by a few apartment hosts stating we would have to pretend to be friends and not to mention Airbnb. This made me think the activity there was actually illegal and didn't want to risk a last minute cancellation if they were found out.

But I find the emphasis on 5 star rating baffling. To me, 5 stars would mean absolutely perfect, nothing at all can be done to improve. Perfection in everyone's eyes is difficult for anyone to achieve.

We have checked out Airbnb places when travelling but as there is only the two of us I have found them often equally or more expensive than hotels and lacking benefits like arriving whenever it suits us, leaving luggage before check in and after check out etc, facilities we often use as airline schedules rarely fit in with customary times to check in or out.

My son, who travels with his wife and three children, loves Airbnb and finds it cheaper and far more suitable for them.
    Marg

wylie likes this.
  19. Gockie

Agree. 100% Wow.
    @ellejay... that host is such a bad reflection. Communication should never be rude and abusive from the host. Sorry to hear that he did that to you and your dog!

From my point of view, it gives the vast majority of good hosts a bad name. You can report a host.

Bad hosts should be disbarred from the system. Being abusive is not acceptable.

Last edited: 18th Oct, 2017
  20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Sheesh! I would have given less than 4 stars. Pet friendly, to me, means that your pet can come & stay IN the unit with you.

ellejay and Biz like this.