Review Construction contract

Discussion in 'Development' started by Sackie, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Does any one use a quantity surveyor to look over the construction contract to make sure its all OK before you give the final signature?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jessproperty

Jessproperty Well-Known Member

If it is a larger development then yes I would. Have you received quotes from different builders to compare as well?

Might be worth to find out if your council requires a Construction estimate, it is usually if the development is over $500k but every council is different.

We did a development in our council that was $1.1mil and they didn't ask for an estimate with DA.

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2015
  3. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

What's the build?

4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

what have you done in the past for previous developments?

S.T, Singo and 380 like this.
  5. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want

Quantity surveyor can be good for large project and can look at bill of quantity, if your applying for commercial loan.

If you want to know your rights and obligations under contract, best to contact lawyers.

If you want to know what's included or not, get one of expirenced developer to get a second opinion.

Hope this helps!

The Falcon and OC1 like this.
  6. Reindeer

Reindeer Member

I am not an experienced developer but I've a QS report for the development that I am working on. I can only attach part of the QS report due to privacy issues but hope this helps. I needed the QS report for the DA submission and it is also required to apply for the construction loan. I believe you need a solicitor to review the construction contract.

Attached Files:

• QS.zip
      File size:
      237.6 KB
      Views:
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Jessproperty, sanj,Oc1, Be Developer: Its a duel occ development so not a large project, We have gotten a fair few quotes and we have pretty much chosen who we are going with. This is my first project that I'm going completely solo so I don't have the luxury of a business partner I worked with in the past who was great at attention to detail. So I'm a little more nervous. Yeah I might get a solicitor to have a look at the legals and my building broker to go over the details with me to make sure its OK. Thanks for your feedback guys. I appreciate it!

@Reindeer: Thanks for sharing that QS report mate.

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks Jess. Yeah this council requires a QS estimate for construction over 750k. i'm just under! So they just require a Description of Cost.

9. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

You don't need a QS. Just be alert.

Sackie likes this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks! Trying my best. I'm much more confident with simple property investment than development as it requires so much more skills than just buying an ip! Bought the land at a perfect time though so it gives me a little more breathing space for margin, not that I want to waste any of it! :)

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2015
    OC1 likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice