Reval fraud ...

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by wombat777, 19th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Like I said, there's plenty of ways for this to go bad.

If they're committing valuation fraud what other fraud are they willing to commit? Where is the line between the originator and bInvested (the banker left Westpac years ago to start bInvested's finance arm)? What if the borrower defaults on one loan because they lost their job?

A house of cards, there's plenty of ways this could go badly.

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Many years ago now, I went to one of his presentations, out of curiosity. From what I saw, the bank's employee knew exactly what he was doing. It was scary stuff. Although in saying that, I was a bit jealous on some of the vals, as I would have liked to be able to redraw a bit more & go, go, go, but the conservative side of me would have never let me. They spoke about a lot of 2770 homes, which I was right on top of, so I knew the vals were dodgy.

Redwing likes this.
  3. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

Don't know what was the motivation of the person who made the complaint or the truthness of the figure, but in a position of debt larger than asset is terrible. :(

4. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

wombat777 likes this.
  5. sumterrence

sumterrence Well-Known Member

I still failed to understand how a bank employee has the power to alter a valuation?

As far as I know all valuations are done by external and there is a good reason why.

If this guy really go back to sue the bank the bank will simply pass the blame onto the valuation company.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

With that particular bank they don't alter a valuation, but the managers how the power to ascribe a value to a property without using a valuer.

Not sure if this is still possible but it had been going on with that bank for more than 5 years.

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I know many banks ran that process 20 years ago.

Certainly in the last 10 years, I was pretty sure they removed that systemic risk, i say somewhat sure, coz Im not in their risk area.

What may have happened here ( and who really knows !) is simply that the client bought under the value of the current desktop valuation at the time.............and a rerun of the same val a few weeks later gave the same results.

Not unusual that we see system and kerb vals , 10 to 200 k above the actual sales price.

ta

rolf

Terry_w likes this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

i may be talking out of my backside,

but around this time when I was trying to choose lenders, my broker and I were looking at some lenders that would do desktop valuations, most were fairly accurate, but the odd one was really high, maybe not this situation high,

I had a few props that inside were destroyed get valued at a price same as a house with a normal inside,

I also remember that some areas, all the houses were deskptop vals at the same price,

maybe it was a similar situation like this, but with the connections that Binvested had, maybe they were pushed even higher by that manager, so all props were pushed up and even a burnt out house was getting higher val prices???

or am I totally off mark?

9. Rolf Latham

Context

if you buy a burnt out house, and the valuation is higher than the land minus demo costs, and one borrows on that val.....

again, I wasnt there so I have no clue

many lenders will use a contract and not bother with a val.

Thats fine, thats the lenders risk and why the valuation is for the purposes of the lender NOT the borrower.

ta
    rolf

10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Well obviously a burnt out house is an extreme example, I don't recall the property market being flooded by burnt properties. But let's say run down or unrenovated getting valued at renovated.
    Even for full Vals, I had a few surprising Vals as I knew of most sales, and some were much higher as their comparative props were an outlier almost

Howver for such a huge discrepancy in this situation, something must have been going on

11. Rolf Latham

seeing the issue went to regulators a couple of years back, and there hasnt been anything obvious in terms of feedback.................

I have clients that buy stuff thats bought at 80 k, and the full val is 150 after purchase ........

I know people with a B- blood group cant see that, its logical fact.

There are BA's that are good at sourcing this type of product. is it good or bad ........ dunno, not my money.

ta
    rolf

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

The point is is it a genuine Val of 150k?

Ie if they sold it tomorow, they could get in that price range?

If so that's well purchased
    If not.. Uh oh