Retiring to Tasmania

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by dodger21, 26th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

only been to Tassi once, liked it, nice and quite, not much traffic.

2. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="hobartchic, post: 570599 I also would not recommend moving too far from Launceston or Hobart, everywhere else tends to have plenty of people who need a social worker...and these places have reasonable access to services e.g. medical, Centrelink, DVA, shopping.[/QUOTE]

You’ll get people who need social work help in any of the suburbs that have undergone or are undergoing gentrification . We have an “ interesting “ long term tenant in New Town and saw a couple of candidates for bogan hunters while we were looking in invermay which is the place in launnie that is the place that I’d be targeting for gentrification there . Old working class suburb next to CBD . Think Port Melbourne , 50-60 years ago .

Cliff

dodger21 and Bozley like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I would suggest looking within an hour or so of a major hospital for future medical needs.

And if you have family on the mainland who you want to visit, or will visit you, proximity to an airport may make things easier.

Deloraine area may tick boxes. Or Penguin, a personal favourite!
    Marg

LibGS and dodger21 like this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I reckon Penguin.

I have zero clue about Penguin.... but what's not to love about an area named the same as a cute animal???

5. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I've been analysing this myself. Acton Park seems to fit the bill.

6. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Bad floods in Deloraine not so long ago. Would want to be careful buying there.

7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

You’ll get people who need social work help in any of the suburbs that have undergone or are undergoing gentrification . We have an “ interesting “ long term tenant in New Town and saw a couple of candidates for bogan hunters while we were looking in invermay which is the place in launnie that is the place that I’d be targeting for gentrification there . Old working class suburb next to CBD . Think Port Melbourne , 50-60 years ago .

Cliff[/QUOTE]
    Yes, there are certainly interesting people in Hobart. I have noticed an uptick in characters in New Town recently.

8. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Strahan,cold,lots of rain.Bliss.Im going again soon hunting a property.

9. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

My parents chose Ulverstone, not too big, not too small...close enough to Launceston/Devonport but far enough to be its own town

dodger21 likes this.
  10. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I'd live in South Hobart, Taroona, maybe Kingston, maybe Bellerive. Craft markets tend to be held in the city/Launceston - my mum is into that sort of stuff.

Ferntree might be nice if you like a country feel but still easy to get into the city. Cold though, being on the mountain - however if cold is an issue you probably don't want to move to Tassie. ;)

I grew up in Kingston, and anywhere too far out of the city is full of bogans.

dodger21 likes this.
  11. radson

radson Well-Known Member

We bough an IP in Sandy Bay in 2016. We can definitely seeing ourselves living there later on and part of the rationale for buying down there.

dodger21 and Jess Peletier like this.
  12. dodger21

dodger21 Active Member

Thanks for that. I’m into craft markets massively and would like to be near one in retirement