Retiring Early @ 55

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by luke83, 29th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. luke83

luke83 Well-Known Member

Wifes debt is 110K on an investment property returning $340/week before costs, i have tried not to get too involved in her property ( other than doing bulk of repairs when the tenant trashed the place a few years back) as she likes knowing it's hers ( and that she didn't need a man to buy it) even though i have bailed her out a few times when she was not working...Its just easier to stay out of it :)

Her only other loan is a near new car she just purchased, i am refusing to pay this one off as i need her to realise how annoying it is to pay for new cars week in and week out and watch the value of it continue to drop. Previously i have paid for the last 3 family cars and now she is earning as much as me, i am DONE paying for them. I am treating this a learning moment for her as it's easy to expect a new car when someone else is paying for it. Sure its going to cost her more interest now if i sit back and let her pay it off, but i am hoping it will pay dividends in the long run :) Her parents are pretty well off and they change cars every 3 years so i need her to see what the cost of that lifestyle is. Just so i don't sound like a complete prick, i did tip 12K into this car already so its not like i have completely refused to help but that's where i draw the line in the sand, the last 30K is on her.

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2021
    Sypher, fritzsticker and Terry_w like this.