Retired, Equity a plenty, Living off the pension.

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by albanga, 30th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Great post mate, way to really contribute to the discussion and refute anything that was said or really do anything other than make yourself look like a 5 year old who can't form a coherent sentence.

You're better than that.

Bayview likes this.
  2. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Sometimes less is more

Sonamic likes this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

... and pensioners :) :).

4. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Or they might just resort to actually working ...

kierank and Bayview like this.
  5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I've only ever been on the dole once in my life - actually; I found some work before I needed to receive the first payment, so cancelled it...

I think there needs to be a bit more tightening of how long you can receive it before the payments stop, and you either find some work of your own; or the Gubb finds some work for you.

That Gubb work could be anything, and might even be anywhere. You stay on that work until if and when you decide you want to find other work more suitable to your pallet...

It's called; WORK FOR THE DOLE.

And then, Hey!! You can do your back and go on "disability leave" forever....;)

They tried WFTD in the USA some years back, and I saw an interview with a number of the folks on it, and pretty much all of them felt better about themselves for being on the scheme...it was a much healthier situation for them (mentally) and for the wider economy.

Another alternative is to force repeat and serial dole offenders to go in the army, and be more useful moving around the Country doing all those little things to help out that the army does do (other than fight wars)..

On the aged pension; we have a large number of our customers who are older, retired and sitting in quite valuable houses, who would have a very tough and traumatic time moving from their home of decades....they are often driving around in old and close to clapped out cars, that they are keeping on the road on a shoe-string budget....either they are strapped for cash, or the most super-tight millionaires on the planet, and enjoy being rich but driving around in crappy cars.

We don't know their individual circumstances, but assuming they are retired and mostly mortgage free, it makes sense for them to be able to access their equity and enjoy some lifestyle without having to move house, and their pension cuts can be channeled into other areas such as better hospitals, schools, roads etc, apprenticeship incentive schemes, homelessness, domestic violence, etc..

EDIT: I also think the "dole" (for unemployed folks) should be in the form of vouchers or credit notes that can not be redeemed for cash at all, and only be used for essential items such as clothes, food, rent/PPoR loans, utility bills.

This may be set at a figure of say; 90% of the dole payment, and the rest can be redeemed in cash for spending on whatever you like.

This way; the kids get cared for better, the bills get paid, and there is still a bit of "play money" left.

Civ Lib types are horrified at this; "How dare you tell us/them how to spend our/their money!!", I often hear them chirp on the teev/radio.......why don't the tv and radio presenters call them out on this selfish attitude?

"our" money? o_O

How about; "Thankyou for giving this money; we really need it"

Last edited: 9th Jul, 2016
    big max likes this.
  6. Ed Barton

I know someone who works for a govt funded employment agency that does the work that the CES used to do.

They say it's amazing the number of people who've been on the dole for x(6?) months and are then made to do work for the dole that find work within a couple of weeks. I think it's now 2 days a week if you over 40(?) or 4 days a week if you are under 40. Working 4 days a week for $250 is strong motivation to find real work.

Ideally, work for the dole would teach participants skills that would help them find work. Because work for the dole can't place people with for profit businesses they often only learn the basic 'you must turn up to work' skill. The work is often BS. It's an expensive system to administer.

big max likes this.
  7. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

8. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Has anyone been to centrelink on dole day? It's actually a massive meet up. People handshaking and hugging in-line. Admittedly I saw this years ago so maybe they just get the pay deposited into an account but when I saw it I thought to myself these people know each other like they are best friends. I could only imagine how long they had been on the dole.

9. big max

I tried it on my early days on the Gold Coast. Most of my surfie mates has part time jobs as glassies in bars or manual labour or their own businesses. Was pretty standar back then as a way of getting free money.

Another idea would be an absolute cap. Eg everyone gets a turn of half a year max. And then that's it. No more.

10. Ed Barton

I don't think they've paid the dole in cash for many decades. You must be a pensioner due for their long service award. :cool:

11. Ed Barton

Can you recommend a good gun shop?

Skilled_Migrant likes this.
  12. Skilled_Migrant

This is exactly how misinformation starts and spreads. One trip to centrelink and the whole social security and its recipients have been evaluated, judged and branded.

13. Skilled_Migrant

Or Gated Communities:). The cost of not providing social security should not be understated.

14. big max

No but I can recommend countries with unemployment around 3% and very little free dole for those who don't work and a very low crime rate if that helps. Like HK and Singapore for example ...

Bayview likes this.
  15. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

There is also the opposite, very high dole payments and low unemployment and crime, Switzerland. I went on unemployment benefits there for a few months between jobs and they paid me over 10K a month. Would have lasted 2 years... but I found another job unfortunately.
    I think when there is no minimum safety net crime goes up to compensate to a degree (e.g the US).

16. big max

Ah yes. And Switzerland also has a cap on how long a person can receive the benefit for (just like I suggested). Further, in Switzerland working employees pay into a fund for this purpose, so in effect they are being given their own money back for a limited period when they are out of work. (Useful for people who are not disciplined enough to have the foresight to save for themselves).

Chrispy likes this.