Replacing Spotlights - whose responsibility when renting

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by LMC78, 10th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LMC78

LMC78 Member

Hi, just wanting some feedback. Per another post, I have 3 spotlights in the bathroom that I'm now getting an electrician out to replace which is costing $150.
    A few work colleagues said it's the landlord/real estates responsibility (and cost) to organise these to be replaced since electrics/safety issues are also involved in replacing.
    The real estate however has told me any replacement of blown bulbs regardless of type is my cost. Thoughts?

I have no problems changing the lounge/kitchen bulbs but I do think it's a bit unfair I have to pay to get the spotlights changed. I didn't install the spotlights, decide on that type of light system.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you are a tenant, why are you replacing lights?

I would not want my tenant replacing any lights. If they are faulty, I'm responsible.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

generally tenants would need to replace globes. Why do you need an electrician?

Tom Rivera and Stoffo like this.
  4. wylie

I think I misread the post. Are you having an electrician to change "lights" or just the bulbs (globes)? If the latter, why is an electrician required?

5. LMC78

LMC78 Member

Appreciate the replies. It's just the spotlights that needed to be changed. There's no fault.

The main problem was I couldn't get the old spotlight out of the casing (older style). And then the fear was I'd break it being too rough with it trying to figure it out. I was also weary electrics wise since I don't really know much about them. Feels a lot safer just changing a normal light.

Anyway after about 15 seconds and some muscle, the electrician managed to to remove the inner rim off the casing. I had tried but couldn't get it off so thought it must have been fixed to the casing (it looked like it). I would never have been able to get the rim off with my little woman muscles lol.
    He replaced all the old light fittings with a newer style LED light/fitting. So that's that.

I get it's just a light bulb change but tenants should be shown what to do to replace spotlights. With all the youtubing I did, I did not find one video that showed my type of spotlight. Being too rough with the fitting could have broken it so then I'd be up for the cost of replacing that.
    $150 I could have used for something else but at least I don't have to shower in the dark.

6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

No idea who is legally responsible.
    The owner can claim the cost as a deduction? Maybe they will pay all or half for the receipt.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You should not have to pay for new light fittings (or do you just mean bulbs when you say ‘fittings’?) At the most, you should pay for the new bulbs (and possibly the minimal cost of putting them in).

However, I strongly believe that if it was too complicated for a normal person, then you shouldn’t need to pay for the cost of figuring out how to replace them.

If they had broken while you were trying to change them yourself, then it may have been wrongly considered your fault.

Last edited: 11th Dec, 2018
  8. qak

qak Well-Known Member

How much are we talking about here? Only $150? AS a LL I would pay that.
    I would let the LL know you tried to replace the bulbs but were unable to so used an electrician. The electrician had to replace the fittings, I would ask the LL to at least pay for the fittings.
    I am guessing the new fittings probably only cost $10-20 each, but the electrician's time may need to be split between "trying to replace bulbs" and "installing fittings".

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Maybe its similar to the light in the oven. That is not something the tenant should have to change, its more complicated and the bulbs are a specific type.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I would push that cost back onto the landlord.

11. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

I would give the property manager and owner a copy of the thread where you asked “ how to get bulbs out of the casing” on this site earlier. This shows your genuine attempt to do it your self. Then give them the $150 bill and ask for at least part payment. For what it is worth as an owner I would pay the full amount

wylie and Gockie like this.
  12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the OP asked after they had booked the electrician already!

13. wylie

Sounds like it is just the bulbs that have been changed by an electrician. Sounds like the old spotlight housing (fitting) is still there?

When we had a house with lights that were difficult to replace the bulbs due to placement (one was in a void - no tenant was going to get up a ladder that high), we paid an electrician.

As a landlord, I would be paying this for you. I would not expect you to have to pay for a tricky light change.

The Y-man and Islay like this.
  14. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

we have paid for light bulb changes where the fittings were on high vaulted ceilings.

15. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

DO you mean the heat lamp globes in a IXL tastic?
    They can be a pain to change due to heat and moisture and you need to remove the divider first.

I think the landlord should pay but even in my lease all globes are the tenants responsibility.

16. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Litmus test, ask the PM to show you how to change them. If they cannot, then insist they pay for electrician.

My tenants requested I pay for an electrician because they did not know how. I asked the PM to instruct them and that was that.

17. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Going off the OP's other thread with pictures it looks like a 12v gimble downlight eg Nelson 12V Gimble Twist Lock Downlight

The halogen lights are separate but the actual fitting can seize up after a while, particularly in humid environments, and the globe can be difficult to remove. Also when changing halogen globes avoid touching the actual globe as the oils from your fingers shortens the lift of the bulb.

With LED down lights though, where they're the all in one fitting, you can't replace the bulb yourself once they die as the whole fitting is one unit and not a separate globe and fitting. They're usually hard wired so an electrician is needed to change them.

18. fobo

fobo Well-Known Member

My whole place has them, they sometimes just need a bit of muscle to get them out. $150 for 30 seconds worth of work

Scott No Mates likes this.
  19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I can't see it being a Gimble Downlight from the description, these are very easy to replace?