Replacing hot water system should I bother?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Liarliar, 17th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Optimistic M

Optimistic M New Member

Having hot water is considered a necessity under the residential tenancy act. Not having hot water is considered an urgent repair. If you choose not to complete this, tenant have the right to fix it at their cost and then request for reimbursement. It will be cheaper for you to get an electrician to investigate the problem however if the unit is very old, it may be worthwhile replacing it rather than repairing it to prevent future costs.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

GPOs are connected on a 16 amp circuit with 2.5mm copper cable (according to AS/NZS 3000), electric stoves are on a SPO (hard wired) on their own 20 amp circuit as they draw more current. A hwu has two or more elements and draws more than 10 amps.

I noted the wattage for your benefit not mine (2400 W = 10 amp @ 240V), this is what GPOs are rated at and any appliance which uses more power than that needs its own dedicated supply.

A circuit has 16amp so that other appliances can be connected simultaneously eg phone chargers, computers, shaver, personal amusement devices, electric blanket, kettle, microwave oven etc.

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'd like to plug my arc welder to a powerpoint shared with a 4 x 500w light system that is located in the bedroom without drawing too much..hem..attention.....bzzzzzt.....I'll just need to "reinforce" the fuse lol.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Was that your place on the Central Coast which went up in smoke earlier today? Sounds like a few too many double adaptors/powerboards on their hydro system and the nail in the fuse box failed.

datto likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Heard about that! The news said the cops are waiting for the occupies to return. Being bogans they'll turn up for sure.

The owner of the property should play the "I know nothing card and just rent the place privately".

I once rang the cops and told them there is a car with a blue light chasing me down The Great Western Highway but luckily I got away and could they send someone to investigate.

They replied "listen mate, you just get yourself down to the station right now".

LOL

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yep, they are electrical after all

7. dabbler

Hey.....I do not like the idea of more competition.the other half would like it though as is hard to get down side on my place...all the spares

Simon L likes this.
  8. dabbler

Couple of comical posts lately by new members.....

I like Keirans fix, cold showers as well and a rent hike of fifty bucks........your not going to make the bucks being a pushover and giving cheap NRAS style rent, always market + 50 to become a cash cow......so you as a LL can be on the cows teat :):eek:

kierank likes this.