QLD Repairs/Improvements and it's process.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Dan Wood, 15th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Hello oh knowledgeable property owners.

I recently purchased a two bedroom unit in QLD and I was wondering how do I approach my PM to organise repairs/improvements? I have a few issues I wanted to touch up from the Building inspection.

What's the best way to get feedback from the tenant on what they think needs to be repaired or improved upon? I guess wording is my main factor.

And when's the best time to repaint or retouch skirtings? I'm going to assume it's obviously when the tenant has left and if they do resign for another 12 months how do I go about it?

My only worry is pestering the tenant (he's great by the way), they've gone through a sale, multiple entering and leaving, building inspection etc etc. He's FIFO so could be away for a week or two which is fine as there's no huge rush on my part.

Cheers,
    Dan

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Do not ask the tenant for their opinion on what needs improvement (or you will appear to be too accommodating for future requests). You might get a stupid list also.

You are the expert.

Ask your PM to give you his/her list when he/she completes his/her next routine inspection. The PM can then coordinate the quotes and tradies and also manage the tenant.

Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.
  3. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Why bother painting skirtings when it’s tenanted?

unless it’s been requested by the tenant (in which case I’d still think twice), I’d wait till they move out before doing that type of maintenance.

4. Dan Wood

How does that make me accommodating? I'd be getting the PM to do it anyway. No question is a stupid question, so no list can be a stupid list.

Why am I asking then ;)

That sounds like a fantastic plan.

5. Dan Wood

Just curious, if they don't leave then there's no right or wrong time, right? The previous owners didn't do all that much maintenance.

6. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Correct.

Dan Wood likes this.
  7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Unless it's required maintenance, and/or you want to spend money on it for one reason or another, why bother while it's currently tenanted and probably unlikely to increase your yield?

I'm all for keeping properties well-maintained and presented well to secure the best possible tenant/rent, but do it smart...

Dan Wood and wylie like this.
  8. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Fairly normal to have a bit of a list of maintenance items when you are handed the property. If it is the same PM they may be aware of them or if not proactively asking the tenant to confirm any outstanding maintenance items can be enough to get the relationship off on the right foot (assuming you action them).

The main reason I would caution against involving the tenant regarding "improvements" is that they will be subjective to that particular tenant. Whatever improvements you make have to be relevant to your broader target based on the property. For example, the blinds/curtains might be at the end of their life and you ask your current tenant what they would "like". They might say "the bedroom is a bit dark I would prefer venetians so I can let some light in without exposing the whole room". Sounds ok on face value, but if your unit is close to a hospital you may be ruling out any shift workers who will want block out blinds.

Good idea but I would still be cautious just going ahead with whatever they say. Most PMs aren't investors so make sure it is backed up with relevant justification. If a suggestion starts with "I think it would be nice if...." you have to ensure it is not just their subjective opinion. If it starts with "I have looked at what other units in the area are offering and believe the following improvements will provide the greatest impact in terms of rental amount achieved....." then you at least have a good starting point for working out what you want to do.

- Luke

9. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

As a general rule, you'll be expected to keep functional items up to scratch during tenancies- no leaking taps, torn screens, working lights, working blinds/curtains, etc.

When it comes to cosmetic items, it's quite unusual to attend to these sorts of things during the average tenancy. More than likely, projects like bathroom/kitchen renovations, new flooring, paint, etc will inconvenience the tenant more than they appreciate it.
    Besides, once someone's settled into a home they tend not to notice the little things anymore- and they certainly wont want to pay extra rent for it.

Angel, Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.