Repairing or replacing dryer

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by giraffez, 25th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

I’ve never owned a dryer before so know nothing about them and what to look for but the one in my investment property has stopped working. I’m wondering whether I should just replace the unit rather than getting it repaired. Not sure what the problem is but to call out a repairman plus labor and parts I suspect would be about a $200-300 job ( my guess). It’s only about 4 years old. Do repairman for these appliances provide free quotes or they charge a service fee even to come out and have a look at it? Given we are in lock down, i don’t think they will be too keen to go out and just give a quote - not in a hotspot LGA.

Looking online I can get a new one for $500 plus installation so about $700? Besides the obvious dimension of the unit, are there different types I need to worry about so that it fits with the existing connection? If I buy a new one, I want to make sure I order the right one online.

2. giraffez

Also to add it needs to be wall mountable.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Why did you supply the tenants with a dryer?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Required in home units without external drying space.

jared7825 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Replacement dryer should not need much installation. Usually just plug in and off they go.

And $500 seems dear, there are much cheaper ones around.

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Ahhh, you learn a new thing every day. Never bought anything without drying space.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This! I've seen many for a few hundred dollars.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  8. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Dryers are pretty simple and inexpensive and you haven't described the problem. Does it turn but not heat or just wont start?

In some cases it is a simple $20 part such as a capacitor, but it still needs to be taken off the wall and opened.

In your case I would buy a similar model and replace to avoid different mountings etc and keep tenant happy.

I would keep the old one and open up and try to fix myself. If simple to repair, great, keep or sell on gumtree, if not then it goes out for next verge collection.

After many years I have found that the the so called expert technicians only know a couple of common fixes after which they will name some expensive part and suggest it is not worth repair.

giraffez and Michael Mitchell like this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

While then charging a call out fee for a little under the cost of just biting the bullet and buying a new one.

giraffez likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd replace it with one the same. And I'd sell the old one to allow someone to repair and reuse it.

We had a repairman tell us a dishwasher would be around $500 to repair so we bought a new one. I gave the old one away (or sold it for a few dollars - can't recall) to a repairman who told me he fixed it with a $30 part.

He told me so that I knew I'd been totally ripped off by the first repair company, which was decent of him.

So, if you replace it like for like (so you know it will fit the brakes) then at least give the old one away and a repairman could buy it, and save it going to landfill for another few years.

11. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

A lot of driers have a large belt that drives the tumbler. This can often break, stretch or jump off the pulleys - usually a pretty simple fix.

giraffez likes this.
  12. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

You should be able to get one installed for as little as $350 depending on type and size. Good Guys will install which is only delivery and plug in, for free. Shouldnt pay more than $500 for installation.

giraffez likes this.
  13. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

If you can swap it for the same or similar model it may just be a question of unplug, lift off wall bracket, put new one on bracket and plug in. Note that they do get heavier once you lift above chest height!

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Unfortunately appliances are almost never worth repairing these days. Usually the place you bought from can do a changeover and dispose of the old one.

giraffez, Shazz@ and Michael Mitchell like this.
  15. giraffez

It came with it when I brought the apartment. Is it mandatory in apartments to supply a dryer? If not, I'll take it out before leasing next time!

The PM told me it just won't start.

How do you make a decision on a purchase when you don't know whether it's a small fix or a large fix. And in order to get that information you need to get someone to come out. I hate to have it go to landfill if it can be fixed pretty easily. But if they go out and tell me the motor is dead and needs to be replaced, then it makes more sense to buy a new.

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Get the PM to get model number and photo from the tenant. Then you can order the same one and have it delivered and installed. Appliances Online will do this and possibly other suppliers as well.

17. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I just recently replaced my dryer (after 5 years). Models do get upgraded and therefore, there is a good chance the brackets won’t be the same (as was the case for me). Don’t rely on the tenants being able to simply replace the new one for the old. I would get the good guys to deliver, install the dryer and remove old dryer (they are the cheapest compared to everyone else and they price match). Should be no more than $500.

giraffez, Michael Mitchell and wylie like this.
  18. Marg4000

It is usually a requirement in apartments.

Phoenix Pete likes this.
  19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Is that a Qld thing though? We had a unit in NSW, and didn't need to supply a dryer.

20. Marg4000

Not sure if it is an absolute but we owned a unit in a complex with no outdoor drying area and we supplied a dryer. Years ago - maybe it was the PMs suggestion?

Had to replace it but we sold the unit 6 months later. When I read the contract the dryer was not included. Checked with the RE agent who said he was not sure if it worked so did not include it in the sale. Brought it home and it is still going strong!

skater, giraffez and Michael Mitchell like this.