Repair or replace air con ?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Poppii2, 26th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Poppii2

Poppii2 Active Member

Hi all,

just wanting some thoughts before I make a decision. I have an Accent ducted air con at my IP. The controller is faulty and apparently has been discontinued. A new controller needs to be put in which includes replacing the indoor/outdoor panels, capacitors and zoning. Costs $1850. Apparently the Accent brand is not very good quality and the unit is about 10 years old, likely to have more problems as it’s old. I am debating whether to replace the air con for $7100 with 5 years warranty or fix the controller hoping it will lasts a couple more years.

Anyone has experience with the Accent brand ? Should I cut my losses and replace the unit or put a bandaid on it ?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't know the brand, but I wouldn't put such an expensive bandaid on it.

I'd put in a new one.

We had this in our own house. Ducted nearly 20 years old and we put a $150 bandaid on it that got us another year.

Ended up paying $8k for a new one, and what a difference... so much quieter, and way more energy efficient than the old one.

Beano and Poppii2 like this.
  3. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

How about getting a 2nd quote before deciding....

Pingu1988 likes this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Sounds like the controller is no longer available (management unit), hence having to replace parts inside and out.

Obtain a second quote for repair if you can, and whilst they are there have them also quote replacement.

Assuming this is a PPOR it really comes back to just how often you use it, we replaced ours but wouldn't use it 15 times a year, not a great spend :confused:

5. snoopy

snoopy Well-Known Member

definitely get a 2nd quite - I had a similar issue and my repair guy sourced a 2nd hand controller