Renting Rooms Vs renting whole property

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Becky123, 1st May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Renting Whole property or on a Room by room basis - Investment properties

1. Rent whole property

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. Rent Room by Room

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Becky123

Becky123 New Member

Would your investment property make more money by renting out per room instead of the whole property? Would you do it?

I am a property owner myself and am looking to buy for investment, the more and more i work the numbers it seems to be better for me to rent out per room instead of the whole property... Which led me to wondering if other landlords would consider the same?

My background is Residential & Commercial Property Management, I'm also considering setting up a new kind of property management service that will allow for the management of properties on a room by room basis.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts, feedback and criticism :)

Thank you

Pingu1988 likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My parents had a house near uni and hospital that was rented by the room (five bedrooms, that's the maximum for non-related parties under normal lease). My parents didn't raise the rent enough, because this was easy, the house needed some renovation, and when my brother and I took over and finally decided they were getting very cheap rent, we increased the rent, and they left.

It worked for us though as we got in, renovated and sold it.

But even had we been getting market rent, it is more work to rent by the room. These were uni students and the work I did (self-managing) each time a tenant changed was a PITA (changing bond, updating names on leases etc).

I wouldn't do it again, but I know you can get higher rent by the room (if you are happy to accept more work and some downsides).

The Y-man and Antoni0 like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I think there is a demand for this and I know a few that have branched out into this ~ however IMHO it's hard to make decent money while their is little policing done on illegal operators (undercutting market) and as @wylie stated above the additional overheads involved especially in exit report, returning bond etc. Often international students are at the airport the day they exit....

The Y-man

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

How much extra time and effort would be involved from a PM point of view?
    Would you charge more for this kind of arrangement? I would assume so
    Is it legal or are there restrictions for doing this?

5. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

I know a few people that done it years ago and it was quite difficult as not only do you need to manage the normal tenancy problems but you've also got to play Mum and Dad to the tenants as their interactions aren't always the best between themselves.

I suppose if you handpicked more appropriate tenants you might have half a chance but chasing down 4 or more rents for one property, for multiple dwellings will be horrendous after a while. I know the GC is big on room letting, lots of people doing it for cash to get by.

Bunbury and thatbum like this.
  6. wylie

Just remembered our situation was the whole house rented by five uni students so one lot of rent was deposited to us and they made internal arrangements. It would be worse (more checking and paperwork) with five individual leases and five people each depositing into our account.

7. Becky123

Becky123 New Member

Thanks guys, all feedback is great!

Structure and organisation is paramount, I'm not afraid of hard work and chasing arrears, I've done it for the last 10 year's what's another 20 lol

Fees would be based on the percentage of income, same as normal property manager 7-9%... as the rental income is higher Naturally the Management fee is higher as well,

If you know anyone in this forum that can provide their feedback I would genuinely like to hear it as well, the more the better

Pingu1988 likes this.
  8. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I rent a property to my tenant (they rent out 10,000 rooms in other buildings), they rent out by the room . Their 160+ rooms make ten times what I make pa (based on the financial report they filed).
    That includes the restaurant and bar too :)
    However since covid-19 it may well be different.

Last edited: 1st May, 2020
    Pingu1988 likes this.
  9. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Would your property have more than 100 rooms ?
    Would you have a bar and restaurant in too?
    Would it be part of a large franchise like Accor , Marriott or Hilton ?

10. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

100% agree with this.

Apart from potential legal issues with having multiple tenancies in the same house, its still just a massive PITA and not worth a few extra bucks per week imo.

Lindsay_W, Antoni0 and Bunbury like this.
  11. JoannaK

JoannaK Well-Known Member

I'm a property manager in Sydney and I lease a 5 bedroom property to a woman. She's re-leased it room by room as a business (with full knowledge of the owner). She has the potential to make approx $650 gross profit, but out of that comes the cleaning expenses (2 x per week), the electricity, gas and internet expenses etc. Her net profit, I calculate, is approx $350 per week when she's fully occupied.

Whilst it sounds attractive, I think about the constant turnover of tenants, the potential instability of income due to the turnover, the increased wear on the property, and the general pain in the bum it would be to make each room "rent ready" for the next incoming. No to mention the issues that arise because, well, we're all people and we all don't get along.

No thanks.....give me a plain, old boring 12 month lease please.

The management fees would need to around the same that I charge for AirBnB management to make any sort of profit on it as a property management business.

AlphabetSoup, The Y-man and wylie like this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Do you want to marry her?

Pingu1988 and wylie like this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I used to know someone who did it and suggested I do the same. It worked for her and she lived in the house herself so was there all the time to control the residents. I would not do it myself.

14. Becky123

Becky123 New Member

Thank you for your response Joanna, do you own a property yourself? I have worked the sums out based on an investment for myself, financially this it is actually quite attractive for myself as a landlord, I was curious to know if others had the capacity to increase their incomes, if it was managed would they pursue it as an option. Of course this is all dependent on the investment itself, location, demand, etc etc.

15. wylie

I guess the question is whether you'd charge a premium to manage this type of property?

I'm not certain, but think five individual people have to be on the one lease (Qld). That's how we did it, so when one left, the others generally found a replacement, and then it was up to me to get forms signed to remove/add someone from the lease and sort out the changes (if any) to the bond (depending on whose name it was lodged).

So there was no reletting fee. But we self-manage.

Would you charge a reletting fee at a multiple of just that one person's share?

Advertising?

I still wouldn't do it though. It was a PITA and they just didn't look after the place like a family would. It was like a backpacker or hostel. We didn't monitor it too closely because we knew once they left we had a major refurb to do. But I'd not want to do it in a nice house just renovated.

Last edited: 5th May, 2020
    AlphabetSoup likes this.
  16. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I did it on a personal investment property near the city, initially it was great, the numbers looked fantastic on paper (after quick reno etc etc), but I stopped after about 2 years as it was a huge PITA. I was happy to take a rent reduction to give it to a single person on a standard tenancy (they then lived there and rented out the other rooms).

When I was younger the extra effort was justified by the extra rent, but I wouldn't go back to it now.

Lindsay_W, wylie and thatbum like this.
  17. spuddy

spuddy Member

I have looked at this as a positive cash flow strategy, but there are a lot of potential pitfalls. Call them rooming houses, boarding houses or similar terminology, different states will regulate them in slightly different ways once you exceed a certain headcount threshold. Development approvals can be slow and quite limiting, fire protection/prevention needs additional consideration (hence cost), you are providing most furnishings and most certainly the tenants will require significantly more "management" than your average residential tenancy.

I have a friend who has purpose built a couple of houses to cater towards a particular market (women who have separated looking for short term accommodation (<12 months) or those who need to move out urgently for whatever reason). Whilst the cash flow is significantly higher than renting out a comparable 5 BR, 5 bathroom property, the maintenance costs have been through the roof and he's had a number leave with no notice which meant he then had to change locks and been left with a rent shortfall. Remember, the kind of tenant you will be attracting are less likely to have much financial backing so most of the time chasing rent is a waste of time. And he is competing with a number of, let's say "less honest' providers who are happy to cut corners when it comes to maintenance and building standards.

There are some good insights in the following paper: https://www.ahuri.edu.au/__data/ass...parency-and-fairness-NSW-Discussion-Paper.pdf

and I would highlight the following paragraph from the paper which has been one of the considerations why I'm hesitant to progress into this style of property...
    "The rooming/boarding house sector is of particular concern to policy-makers at all levels of government for several reasons. First, it houses some of society’s most excluded and vulnerable individuals, often on a legally insecure or ‘non-tenured’ basis. Second, conditions of occupancy can heighten resident safety risks—especially in relation to fire. And third, it is often high turnover accommodation, and sometimes associated with neighbourhood disturbance and complaints to local councils."

AHURI have published a few additional research papers into options for the future regulation of the sector. COVID-19 will certainly delay any regulatory changes for 12+ months now, but I would expect additional regulation in future, particularly as home ownership is expected to continue to decline for future generations over the next 30+ years.

Lindsay_W, JoannaK and The Y-man like this.
  18. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It'll have a lot to do with where you're operating too. Areas that attract a higher quality of individual tenant (e.g. capital cities, major hubs for individuals, near to education) will bring better people and higher rents. On the other hand, trying to run rooming accomodation in an area like Logan (regional, lower rents, lower demographic) is madness. I've only ever had take on a few of them and in every case we've been able to mount a numbers backed business case for converting back to a single tenancy.

Michael Mitchell likes this.