VIC Renting in Melbourne Mornington Pen - to get a feel for buying?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by 2ndTimeAround, 6th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Active Member

What are some good areas on the Frankston side with 45 mins commute that dont attract the St kilda prices but are still nice family suburbs that I can rent while I work and get a feel for local areas?

I dont think there is anywhere good on the other side? Which is a shame as Im a surfer, but a boatie first.

I was thinking Hampton surrounding area?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hampton?

Along with Sandringham, Brighton, Black Rock, they are some of the most expy suburbs in Melbourne

The Y-man

Kelvin Cunnington likes this.
  3. The Y-man

...and Hampton is NOT on the Mornington peninsula....

The Y-man

4. 2ndTimeAround

I thought that whole area Hampton down was the Morn Pen etc, my bad. Y-Man?

Is there anywhere further you would suggest. I own property in Auck NZ, not afraid of Melb now with NZs near vertical rise in some areas, still going on in the rest of NZ which hopefully will crash. I prefer flat markets to bullish ones. Very hard to get under value property in cities that are doubling in 3 years, yikes.

5. The Y-man

Well.... This is Hampton:
    Google Maps

And the Mornington Peninsula circled
    upload_2020-1-6_21-14-49.png

Frankston (closest) is a 60 minute train ride from CBD

When you say St K prices - do you mean for rent? House or apartment?

The Y-man

6. 2ndTimeAround

I mean unit to rent at first, but eventually a cheap commutable suburb to buy a House. 60min isnt bad, heck people commute 2 hours by train in Sydney and some by car. I use to live 20k from work, one night took 3 hours to get home with an accident causing a bottleneck on one of the main routes my way home. Also use to commute from Terrigal in NSW central coast to Newcastle. But that was mostly freeway so not so bad.

My theory is, by train is ALWAYS much less like commuting than car or bus, unless you have to stand the hole way, which in Sydney is often the case depending on where you live. Any idea what the congestion of the trains from Frankston would be?

The UK guy from Location L Location did am episode on Melb, he was actually looking around Frankston for himself to live, I was searching my mind when you mentioned it where I have heard it before.

So its an ok suburb? Less costly than StKilda?

7. Harris

Harris Well-Known Member

Frankston's median of $570k is less than half that of St Kilda's at $1.37m. It has great beaches (by far Melbourne's best beaches) and being a large suburb has quite a significant variance within the suburb. The closer you get to the beach, the better/ affluent the area gets and proportionally the values rise accordingly.

Best strategy will be to drive down the Frankston South and bordering area which has similar feel to Mornington. A 3 bedder on around 600sqm will be c$800k and rising to $1.3m-$1.5m very close to the water.

Also check out Williams St, Kars St, Nolan St jurisdcition which is an ideal compromise between desirability & value. A 600 sqm / 3 or 4 bedder could be had for around $750k-$900k and that will be my pick.

The Y-man likes this.
  8. 2ndTimeAround

Thank you SO much this is exactly the kind of information I was after. I always theorise Id rather be near the water and pay less than be on the water and pay double.

That is a nice looking Botanical Park behind Williams St, and is that shopping mall?

Are there good local boat ramps? Melb gets good snapper in the Bay Im told. Living in Auckland its choca with Snaps and big Kingfish. Id like to get out wide for a look too with the spear gear.

Last edited: 7th Jan, 2020
  9. 2ndTimeAround

Wow the whole area is gorgeous, PERFECT swimming beaches. but how cold? Melb gets the same Sun time hours as Auckland, but Auckland is a very steady climate al year, going from 15 in winter to 35 max in summer, but never really extreme changes aside from the odd storm.

But I hear Melb can drop 20 degrees in a day and has really amazing storms?

The photos of Frankston South beaches are gorgeous and to be honest not a lot different from St Kilda. If I can handle the commute its a good start. Or I could Flatmate in St Kilda to be close to work and in my spare time suss out south.

What suburbs are DODGE ville in Melbourne for me to look out for and avoid. In saying that people use to say Blacktown was worst suburb in Sydney, yet I never had a problem living 1 suburb over from it. Only crime I had was my new car parked in Campbelttown rail station and a coin across four panels, I should have known better with it being a sparkling new object to ruin, some people man.

10. The Y-man

11. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Frankston has boat ramps, but can't be used in all weather safely. Patterson River boat ramp is a short 10 to 15 minute commute away and has the absolute safest and all weather boat ramp facility for Port Phillip Bay and is very impressive.

12. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

I was staying down at Safety Beach with friends last week, and we had a day of 40 there, and then the next 2 days the top temp was 16, and drizzle. :(
    For my entire 59 years of life, Melb's "summer" pattern is this;
    A slow build up of days steadily getting warmer (mid to high 20's-low 30's), over 2 or 3 days, then a scorcher (above 35, occasionally above 40), sometimes two in a row, often with steadily increasing Northerly winds to very strong, then followed up with a mid-late afternoon Southerly cold front moving in from Bass Straight, winds change to the Southwest, and increasing in strength, then large and rapid temp drops, with rain. Sometimes there is a thunder/lightning storm associated with these, but not always.
    This is then followed up with a day or 3 of cooler days with a steady build up of warmer days again.
    It is quite common for the week between Christmas and New Year to be cooler, blustery, and I have seen numerous years where the campers around the foreshores are washed out. But they still keep on turning up every year.
    From Dec 1-Jan 7 this summer, we have had 16 of those 38 days below their daily averages for that Day each year, 2 days at average, and 16 above average - 50% above, 50% below.
    The Indian Ocean Dipole has been predicted to be a cooling one this summer, so we will have to see what happens for the next month and a half - traditionally, Feb is the more consistently hotter month for us - more stable hotter days in a row (which I love).
    Typically, Dec-mid Jan is a lot more changeable as per the description above.
    Hope this helps.

The Y-man likes this.
  13. Kelvin Cunnington

My mate has a permanent birth at Martha Cove Marina in Safety Beach.
    The boat ramp there is very good - inland inside the Marina, so protected from swells and wind a lot more.
    It is more expensive than others, and further to travel before getting into the Bay proper, but worth the extra - good parking available too.
    The Safety Beach foreshore boat ramp is also ok, and has decent trailer parking, but gets VERY busy, and when the weather changes the race back to the ramp is horrible. The good thing is you can launch (or take out) 3 boats at a time - if they are small.

alicudi likes this.
  14. Kelvin Cunnington

Frankston is the end of the line, and Frankston is a big place.
    People can change at Frankston to another line - to continue on across to the Westernport side at Stoney Point.
    Conversely, the Stoney Point railway line is a commute line from there, so a decent chunk of people are now using that to get to Frankston, then change lines and go from there..
    This means the Frankston line is busy to start with, and gets worse as it progresses to Town.
    Frankston does run a good amount of trains though. Parking is a problem around the Station for later starters for the commute.