Renting a Property

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Harry30, 7th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Having just sold a PPOR, we have decided to rent for a period of time.

I was close to signing a 6 month lease for a rental, only to baulk at the gate when I realised the property was also on the market listed for sale (on a public website). Dealing with a landlord’s sales campaign is an extra level of hassle I was not going to live with.

Apparently, estate agents in Victoria must have no obligation to disclose such matters???

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

@Harry30 that is technically correct (for now), but best practice would be to disclose that.

For what it's worth, generally in Metro Melbourne a 6 month lease has a catch. If you want the 6 month lease, then that's fine - but if the owner is insisting in my experience there's usually a reason which would require you to move in 6 months time. This isn't always the case, but does happen often.

Note that despite signing a lease, regardless of the term - the owner can list it for sale, without notice at any stage. This will change to come more in line with QLD and NSW middle of next year, and include set compensation amounts for inspections.

Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.