NSW Renters worried about inspections breaching Sydney COVID restrictions

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Simon Hampel, 4th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Sydney renters fearful of COVID-19 infection during open house inspections

It is becoming clear the Greater Sydney COVID-19 lockdown, and its effect on the property market, is presenting challenges for renters.

But what they fear most, according to the Tenants Union of NSW, is having strangers who are potentially infectious with COVID-19 moving through their home on inspection days if their landlord decides to sell.

The tenants union said that under Sydney lockdown restrictions, real estate agents were only allowed to show homes to one person a day and could only do that twice a week.

But CEO of the Tenants Union of NSW, Leo Patterson Ross, said he had heard from tenants who said some realtors had been trying to break this limit.

...​

2. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Why is that not a clean cut?

When we had lockdown 3.0 (or 2.0, or 4.0, or 3.76 - can't remember, they all taste the same) I had a house ready to be sold, fully renoed and fully dressed for 2.5 months.

Wasn't fun, I can tell you that....
    Insurance was not too happy about it being empty, I had to go every week (and semi-breach lockdown) to open it up, turn the main water and power and run some water in the system so the sewage system won't dry and things will start crawl up), clean the junk mail and stuff.

But there was nothing I could do, but wait.
    Why Sydney people find it hard to understand that lockdown is not some kind of ****** game others need to play?

Lockdown sucks for everyone, even if you need to sell a house.

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Aug, 2021
    craigc and Michael Mitchell like this.
  3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I haven't come across anywhere that says you can only show one person per day. The nsw.gov.au website says: "inspections may be conducted by private appointment for one person only." hence I don't think there's a limit to how many appointments per day.

But it is a crappy situation for a tenant to have to allow strangers through your home at this time. We're not doing any opens of tenanted properties at the moment.

4. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I was moving out of a rental this time last year. It was just awful. Agent asked if they could bring people thru. I said no. They said I had no choice and they would bring people thru 1 by 1 and tell them not to touch anything. Time for inspection, over 30 people out the front. Came in 10 at a time, touching everything. Was so very stressful watching people touch our stuff and random kids in my kids' rooms touching their things. I totally understand why tenants are causing a fuss.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Wow! I would have reported that! That is certainly NOT acceptable. I think I would have also demanded that the Agent only allow one person at a time & stood in the doorway to block people.

wylie likes this.
  6. ParraEels

ParraEels Well-Known Member

3 weeks ago i inspected property for sell. It was tenanted. 6 couples were there to inspect in 30 min time. Parramatta LGA. I don't think agent care and vendors care about tenants. Both want sell at highest price possible at cost of othhers...

7. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I had a tenant move out during lockdown and go back to France by car, she got permission from the police. I or the agent could not go to the property, everyone confined to home for a few months.

When I finally got there a lot of stuff had been stolen.