Renovate for rent - would landlords be interested?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jude999, 25th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jude999

Jude999 New Member

Hi All, I just joined the forum.
    I have interior design background and passionate about improving properties (don't mind to get my hands dirty either). I was looking some rental property ads just this morning and many of the houses look very sad, quite depressing actually. Some has good bones and even a basic reno (painting, new hybrid floor, styling) and gardening could make some of these property much more attractive.
    Do you think that some landlords wold be interested to rent the property for a fixed term in exchange for a reno? Of course all work would be listed and valued in a schedule and compared with current rent value.
    I assume it is not that easy to rent properties especially now so they may be vacant for a while. If someone sign up for a deal like this at the end of the term will have a nicer building, which can be rented for more. Open for any feedback.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Tax might be an issue. If there is no rental income, nothing is deductible. And wonder how depreciation would work if its for 'free' so to speak.

Are you saying you will live in the property for no rent in exchange for a reno? Insurance, liability, licenses, etc all come into play.

The landlord would have to trust you to do it.

wylie likes this.
  3. Jude999

Jude999 New Member

4. Jude999

Jude999 New Member

Maybe we can both issue invoices and compensate them. I have abn and public liability insurance, also would use licenced trade where certification required (e.g. waterproofing)...

5. Jude999

Jude999 New Member

Most of these properties are pretty bad so almost impossible to make it worst..

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I think there would be too many trust issues. One could pay for an interior designer to tell them what to do but I think basically, most landlords want to spend as little as they can to get it rented out, and can just copy styling or seek advice from a site like this.

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Just seems so much more complicated than if you just hire yourself out as a project manager to manage a reno.

Why do you have to live in it?

Styling is one thing, but for renos owners would want a licensed builder.

8. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

So a tradie relationship and a tenant relationship at the same time ? isn't the world not complicated enough ?

anyway, if I am the landlord and the work needed is only painting / flooring, I am happy to give it a go, as there will be less worst case scenarios.

bathroom reno, plumbing and electrical, no way, as the risk to both parties are too high.

Jude999, how can this be helping you, if after a fantastic reno the LL wanted to sell / put the rent up ?