Reno complete; home staging?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Brittany Grace, 14th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brittany Grace

Brittany Grace Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We have completed the renovation on our house, it will go on the market in the next 2 weeks... Which according to our agent it won't last long until we have a contract.

The home is located in the Brisbane area, would anyone have a business they have used for home staging? The house will be empty as we will be moving out as of next week.. Fun times!

Super impressed how this one turned out, she's a little 3 bed 1 bath but its a really good practically little home, we have been told investors or retirees would be looking to buy this one. So I need to keep styling very basic....

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've used Castle Hire a few times now. I like that they use nicer furniture and accessories than some "run of the mill" staging companies but are competitively priced.

Brittany Grace likes this.
  3. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Highly recommend peak to Marion from Tailored Home Styling. I won't use anybody else - she's very good! 0433 003 737

BTW, my advice is that even retirees and investors decisions are affected by emotion so keep it looking "sexy" , just use the right type and amount of gear in there

Brittany Grace likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Nothing to add re stylist, but would love to see some before's and afters! :)

bob shovel and dabbler like this.
  5. Brittany Grace

Thanks Wylie, I will have a look. The one thing I don't like is when people use Kmart items to style - I think it just looks a bit cheap...

6. Brittany Grace

Will do, Thank you!

7. Brittany Grace

Hey Jess, I have blogged the renovation.. but it is on a business website which unsure If I'm allowed to post the link on here.. Ill try and see if I can copy and paste all the data onto this thread once the real estate photos are complete..

Jess Peletier likes this.
  8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Great - looking forward to it!

9. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

we have used companies in the past, however, on the last one, we did it ourselves. The result was extremely similar and the cost was a bit of planning and a day of trailing spare bits and pieces around from family. If its high end then yes we would consider a staging company anything middle of the road or less we will just do ourselves now.

10. Brittany Grace

I like your thinking, I've had a few staging companies over and I'm just not liking their style and pretty sure I can do it myself for a fraction of the price. It's going to cost a company $2500-$3200 that's not including all rooms.. I would prefer to buy the furniture then sell on or keep for next time.

So I'm styling this property, the one we renovated isn't a high end home. Looking at first home buyers, investors, retirees. It's a tidy little home. We had the tiles done last night. It's coming up really good. I'll post some pics.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  11. wylie

We've done our own staging before when we had two houses to draw from, but these days, I'm not prepared to lug couches between houses. I'd be annoyed if our couches were damaged.

Last time we staged a house, I bought beds from eBay or Gumtree (Facebook groups would be a good source these days), dressed them with linen from home, cushions bought if needed and kept, and bought new linen that I'd keep afterwards if we didn't have enough nice linen for dressing.

We had stacks of furniture between my mother's house and ours and hardly noticed things were missing. ;)

After going unconditional, I sold the beds from the house prior to settlement and one son upgraded from a single to a double and I sold his single.

But we had a four bedroom house dressed for six weeks for $3,600 a couple of months ago, so I wouldn't bother with all the work and risk to our furniture these days. But for an entry level house, I'm thinking it still would be a saving if you are happy to put in the effort.

12. Brittany Grace

It is certainly going to be a lot more effort doing it this way; but we have majority of the furniture ready to go, I just need to be a little creative. I did go to a vinnies store earlier in the week and I found a round table and chair setting for $25 - 6 swivel chairs might I add; totally cool ha! The only problem is the chairs a vinyl and are a vintage bright orange colour; I have been doing quite a bit of research on how to bring them back to life.. But we certainly are running out of time as the real estate photos are booked in for Monday night, see how I go! hopefully I can make them work.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the living and kitchen, we did remove a wall to bring these areas together. The 2 first photos are from the previous owners then the rest is progress shots. I have just been told the tilers are finished, which I will send a photo of the tiled floor complete once im home. keen to see as the other tiles were so outdated. Yes; that is my toddler she is quite concerned that her recliner has been moved and there is no furniture in the house...
    Albert.jpg

albert 3.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Brittany Grace

Happy days; my chairs worked! Orange to Blue.

Attached Files:

Jess Peletier and wylie like this.
  14. wylie

How did you make the change from orange to blue? They look great. I love the orange too though.

15. Brittany Grace

Sugar paint - it worked really well! House is on the market and first open home will be Saturday.

Attached Files:

16. wylie

That photo looks as good as a staged house to me. Well done. ;)

17. Brittany Grace

SLK CONSTRUCTIONS

All the before and after pics are on the website above in the news tab. Albert St, Ormiston