Removing a person from title and dissolving trusts

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by beachgurl, 5th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Looks like we're making progress on our property settlement. We will need to remove one of us from each property we own, and for those in trusts, the properties will be rolled into my personal name.

Does anyone know the ballpark costs for either? Are there government fees to remove a person on title?

Also, to remove an owner from title, does the bank holding the mortgage over the property have to sign off on the changes prior to the forms going to the land titles office? If so, how does this work when neither of us have sufficient borrowing capacity until the portfolio is split?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Trustees?

Removing trustees could result in full stamp duty in nsw depending on the structure of the trust.

Changing names on titles will need a full loan application too for loans and s reassessment for serviceability so make sure you can service first.

If moving properties from trustees to personal names there may be cgt concessions for relationship breakdowns. I don't know about stamp duty as it will depend on the state.

3. beachgurl

Thanks Terry. I've had accounting and legal advice that we won't incur any duties/taxes as they were matrimonial assets.

Neither of us can service our current portfolio so what happens in the chicken and egg scenario?

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Sell? That's the usual result of divisions of assets where the parties can't afford to refinance individually.

Terry_w likes this.
  5. Terry_w

tax advice i think you mean.

you would have to sell in that case or keep as is.

6. beachgurl

ive had both tax and legal advice.

That would be devastating if I had to sell everything. He's keeping our home so I'd walk away with nothing much except a massive tax bill.

7. Terry_w

This is why you need to factor in any CGT liability as part of the settlement. When you take title you take any CGT liability in full.

Speak to your lender, but it unlikely they will allow title to be changed without reassessment, especially for personal borrowers.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You need everything put on the table, the decisions of who takes what worked out in detail to get an outcome. Tax implications must be factored into the end result of who takes what. You wouldn't hand him the house and walk away with nothing but a massive tax bill, would you?

If you've had tax and legal advice and the tax implications of each split discussed was not taken into account, then you need better advisors.

9. beachgurl

Yes, the tax implications have been looked at, based on what we each keep as per the proposed court order and what I would need to sell in order to refinance a few remaining properties. However if we are forced to sell everything rather than being able to transfer ownership and then remortgage it all, the tax bill would be horrendous.

10. Terry_w

Check with the mortgagee asap and report back.

Some do allow concessions for divorce I think