Removal of home/buy homes to be carried away

Discussion in 'Development' started by Sackie, 21st Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Would anyone be able to recommend a good company that buys old homes and or removes homes to be sold in Brisbane?? Rather than just demolish it I am trying to save some money on the demolition fee by selling the house or worst case even give it away. Any contacts in Brisbane is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. SK Investments

SK Investments Well-Known Member

Wherever the wind takes me, currently Brisbane
    What is the house like Leo? Size, type, any Pics?

Sackie likes this.
  3. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

We've tried it a few times mate. If there is a hint of asbestos in it, most won't touch it. We did manage to sell one privately to a complete whack job. Honestly wasn't worth it.

The few actual companies we have dealt with are Drake and David Wright. If you have a decent house they are pretty much the same.

Sackie likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@SK Investments As far as i know its a 1950s timber home, roughly about 350sqm, i think on slab.

@WilliamB Thanks for the info mate. I have heard of David Wright so i might give them a call first. If i can get rid of it without too much hassle then it would be ideal...thanks again.

5. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

No worries mate. We found there were two scenarios:

1. They would take it off you for free (WAY better than demoing) and dump it on their lot
    2. They would market it "on your behalf" but would leave it on site until they sold it.

I think we must have also dealt with Atlas judging from this photo hahahah. Although from memory the guy that bought it ****** off pretty much all of the house relocation companies in QLD. It still may have been David Wright that relocated it for him.

Images (203).JPG

Sackie likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

@Leo2413 , did you end up going through with the removal of the house? What sort of % of the building value ( insured replacement cost of the building ) were you offered by a house removalist to 'buy' and remove the house?

My sites in MBRC have houses that have been extensively renovated so demolishing either of them might not be the best way to extract value. One is a 3-bedder ($230k building replacement value), the other a 4-bedder ($245k building replacement value). Both are highsets.

I'm budgeting / assuming $25k for a demolition in the the feasibility costings I am doing ( some asbestos assumed ).

Edit - tagged the wrong Leo initially.

8. Scotty M

Scotty M New Member

Hi,

Do yourself a massive favour and avoid using David Wright House Removals at all costs....

I signed a quote with them in late March and it's now mid June and way just told of yet another delay as they found asbestos in the property - something they could have easily found with an inspection several months ago. I was told the normal timeframe is 4 weeks for a removal yet it is 11 weeks and counting now for me. Not only that, but their communication has been extremely poor where I have only found out about delays after following up with them.

I have now moved on from them and are starting to work with other companies that are capable of delivering a service in a reasonable timeframe.

Originally we had a reasonable chance of having our home built before Christmas but these delays have made it certain this isn't an option now.

Again - save yourself a lot of stress and only work with one of the other companies out there... I really hope no one else goes through what I have experienced.

9. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

I have come across the same issue with them. We asked them for a quote to move a home across a block to clear up a second, it took them almost 3 weeks, 3 emails and 2 calls to come back with a broad generic costing not even on a proper quote. Total waste of time. Avoid.