QLD Relocating to Queensland - please help

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by robbie_p, 30th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

It think at first I had my mind set on living close to the GC. I still dont mind being on a train for an hour (as it will only be a few times a week), however i think primary school options open up the closer you get towards brisbane, which is why i am open to suburbs between Helensvale and Springwood as commuting and rental prices dont seem to be an issue.

2. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

He originally stated he was going to reside in Helensvale. I drive from Forest Lake to the Gold Coast for work every now and then and I tell you the traffic coming into Brisbane banks up to a standstill quite regularly. I used to have to drive into Murarrie via the toll road to the M1 and it used to choke up very badly also. I understand it may be normal for Syd and Melb people to have long commutes to work but they also have a lot more people than us. Our population here is growing and it's not going to get any better unless they start spending a lot more on infrastructure.

3. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

No expert. Guessing around 30 mins.

4. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I'm okay with that :)

5. Ed Barton

First the discussion was the M1, then the Western Fwy and now the Logan motorway. I'm having trouble keeping up.

Where and what do you think money should be spent on infrastructure?

6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

them mexicans- too much enchiladas and nachos with cheese + guacamole.

7. Ed Barton

They'll clean your house cheap cheap. Cash of course.

8. Ed Barton

Again no expert but I guess any problem will be getting onto the motorway not the speed of it. If your 180b and do it, I reckon you could get up to 150 on the M1. That patch of the motorway won;t be a problem.

9. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

My partner drives from Mermaid to Logan everyday takes about 45 mins. So 30 mins if traffic is good sounds about right. I would not really want to go further than Logan if you live on GC thats when traffic gets bad as you hit Springwood etc. If traffic is good I get to Banyo on the northside in an hour I only do that once a week though.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  10. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Parking for public transport. You go to most of the train stations and the carparks are full by 7.00am. A lot of shopping centres have had to put in timed parking because people catching the busses to work from them take up all the parks up.

Most of the roads that go east to west here are full of traffic lights except for the Logan motorway which has tolls. The tolls are so high that it adds a considerable amount to a weeks journey to and from work.

They need to open up more lanes where bypass tunnels intersect existing roads.

11. Dan Donoghue

We are gonna be neighbors :)

12. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Haha yep pretty much there is a few of us i think in MW!

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We love using the tunnels. On the occasions that we travel to places where it is convenient to access them, there is no traffic at all because all the stingy people are up on the ground and we get the tunnel to ourselves. O I love being rich.

If you actually calculate the cost of the toll against wear and tear on your vehicle and wasted fuel, the tolls pay for themselves. But we digress.

14. robbie_p

Hi All,

As you all know, I will be relocating to Queensland in the coming months and have probably had over 50 suburb recommendations from various people. These suburbs are across the Brisbane City, City Logon, Redland City and City Goldcoast councils.

If I look at the at the individual councils as a whole, the one which is probably best suited to would be Redland City. This council seems to contain the most recommended suburbs, access to good primary schools and reasonable public transport into the city (especially the suburbs on the train line)

Brisbane City
    The problem with the Brisbane City suburbs, I can imagine that they all very busy, expensive to rent / buy. The population density is 3 times that of the Redland City council. Coming from Adelaide and the fact that I prefer quieter more spacious suburbs with bigger houses(for your money), I think its safe not to consider Brisbane City suburbs, especially when daily commute into the city is not a high priority.

City Logon
    I have not had many suburb recommendations, however the ones recommended seem to be east of M1 (Springwood, Daisy Hill, Shailer Park, Rochedale), which are still options. The thing I like about these suburbs, is that they have pretty good access to most I place i.e city, Redland City suburbs (friends) and the goldcoast.

City Goldcoast
    At this stage, I am only considering a few of the norther suburbs i.e. Helensvale and Ormeau. Although I have friends located there, the only time I would be able to spend time with them would be on weekends, so being an hours drive from them is sufficient. At the moment I’m a 24hour drive away, so being 1 hour away is much better.

I plan to spend 4 weeks in a holiday rental when i arrive, this this should be enough time to look at a few suburbs to get a feel.

Cheers,
    Robbie

15. Dan Donoghue

Who are you using for your removalists? I just organised mine with Fast Removalists, I don't know if they are good but so far they have been very accommodating.

16. robbie_p

We are probably going with PODS.

17. Dan Donoghue

I hear good things about them, pretty cool that you pack at your own pace then they just pick it up :)

18. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Just a word of caution,these have to be in a driveway,not on the road,so if i am correct, you are on the low side of the road, = a container on a very sharp angle.Happy to be corrected, but pods also have no tie down points inside them,and are fibreglass which heats the inside very quickly.The advertising is somewhat deceptive, a 3 bedroom home in a 27cm pod,ummmmmmmmmmm i dont think so,especially with kids,this is where if you cant fit it all in,you need another..........EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!. Royal Wolf do interstate container moves,you pack.They i believe can be on the road with a council permit,and your small one fits 40cm.
    Is your employer paying for this?

19. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Check these Removalists are not "Brokers".

Propin likes this.
  20. Dan Donoghue

Not sure but after 191 reviews on google they are averaging 4 stars :)