QLD Relocating to Queensland - please help

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by robbie_p, 30th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Oh boy, you're in for a shock of your life. Get as close to the Brisbane CBD as possible because traffic is horrendous here during the mornings and afternoons. Parking and fuel is another big whammy in the Brisbane area.

2. Antoni0

The train service isn't all that reliable from what I've seen of late but heaps of busses and trains on the Southside.

3. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Im planning to catch public transport and will only require to go into the office 2-3 times a week initially, which might taper down to once a week.

With that in mind, the suburbs im looking at are around Shailer Park, Daisy Hill and Springwood

Antoni0 likes this.
  4. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Just a bit confused why you chose those suburbs as they are no where near walking distance to a train, unless you're planning to drive to one? Loganlea and Beenleigh station have express trains to CBD and GC I believe.

5. robbie_p

Firstly, I am told those suburbs and good and have good primary schools.

Secondly, these suburbs, particularly Springwood, have a good bus service into the city.

If Loganlea and Beenleigh are equally good suburbs with equally good primary schools, ill add them to my list?

6. robbie_p

Just looking on google maps.. a bus from Springwood to the city is a shorter traveling time than a train from Loganlea

7. Antoni0

Pretty sure Logan Hyperdome shopping centre has a few busses to the city and train stations. Just be careful of some of those areas in Logan because they can be quite the rough end of town, there's some really good parts and then the really rough. TBO I would have looked in areas like Forest Lake, Richlands or Spring Field. They're pretty central suburbs to Brisbane CBD Ipswich CBD and a scoot down the toll road to the GC.

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You guys need to read the Translink website a bit better. Firstly the south side has a designated bus lane that runs parallel, separate to the motorway. It is impervious to cars. Traffic is irrelevant. As for trains - did you read that some stop at all stations and others go express. The $20 a day fare beats driving and then paying way more for parking fees.

Phase2, kierank and Antoni0 like this.
  9. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Non-Brisbanites bang on about trains. In Brisbane, buses are often quicker and more convenient.

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Nah, these kids from Sydney know everything.

Sackie and JDP1 like this.
  11. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

What do you class as horrendous? When I worked in Sydney there were days it took me 2 and a half hours to get home, I live 32 Ks from Sydney.

On top of that it cost me $22 a day in tolls.

According to Google maps Loganholme is that distance from Brisbane and currently (9am) will be a 28 min drive?

Although Google maps has been known to be wrong on many an occasion unfortunately.

12. Antoni0

It can take about 1.5Hrs in the afternoon to get from the CBD to the southside by car and it's only 25kms. If there's any sort of crash forget it. They spent millions on tunnels here but the connecting roads bottle neck and funding was pulled for upgrades when government changed, but back on the cards for the future from what I've heard. When it comes to holiday season you will be lucky to get out of Brisbane by midnight.

If there's any sort of problem on the M1 and there is quite often, you can take a packed lunch with you because you will be waiting for traffic to clear for a very long time.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  13. Ed Barton

For the millionth time don't exaggerate.

namrata likes this.
  14. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Completely understand but it seems like you changed your mind very quickly thats all. You wanted to live close to friends in GC (15-20 mins), you're only going to be in CBD for a min of once a week, and you don't mind being in the train for up to an hour because you can do work there. So you care more about schools I'm guessing?

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

perhaps..but busses are more unreliable in timings. They obviously do try to be as close to the published time as possible, but there are too many factors such as traffic etc...that make being at the specified time difficult ..If there are different and various bus lines at the stop then it may not matter as much.

namrata likes this.
  16. Antoni0

Do you even drive around Brisbane ? Drive through the Western Freeway between 6:00am to 8:00am then from 3:00pm to about 5:00pm Who starts work after 9:00am not me. Sometimes you can get a good run others times not so.

17. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

these kids from sydney know everything because they have a $25 smashed avo on toast and a $5 coffee from trendy hipster friendly bondi cafes. This adds a lot of credibility...:)

Sackie likes this.
  18. Ed Barton

Noted.
    The point was that Mexicans don't realise that a busway IS a trainline.

Buses on a busway come every couple of mins vs trains every 15m peak or hourly off peak. No traffic.

19. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Sounds like the NSW road services, what happened to the times when you would build the road that you needed in the future? I mean the M2 in Syd they built 2 lanes, then they widened it to 3 lanes and only 6 months after finishing that they are then widening it to 4 lanes. Why not just build bloody 4 or 5 lanes to start with?

So on another note, do you know what traffic is like around 7am from GC to Ormeau Hills? I ask because when I move up there I will be driving there from Mermaid Waters every day for work (hours will be 7-3 in summer and 8-4 in winter)

20. Ed Barton

As little as possible.

The discussion was about the M1 and your post was a bit hysterical. I haven't driven on the western/centenary Fwy in peak recently, but I do hear it's bad. My experience of off peak is quite good. The west seems badly serviced by PT.