Relocating House entrance

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Vishh, 16th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

I was looking at one property and it needs bit of renovation. This will be my PPOR. While other aspects of renovation is almost sorted, this one thing is still pending. Thought will ask experts here before exploring further on the feasibility. :)

The outer wall is brick.

1 ) Current Entrance
    2) Existing Stairs
    3) Proposed new entrance.
    upload_2019-7-16_12-3-19.png
    1) Is it possible to do this .?
    2) Will it need council approval?
    3) Is there anything I need to consider if I were to think on this relocation of entrance
    4) And any idea on cost.

Current entrance makes lot of lounge space unusable and hence thinking on this relocation.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I can see steps leading up to the current front door, do the levels outside location 3 work or will you need to put in steps?
    What is the width of the space in front of the stairs, location 3. It will need to be at least 1m wide to fit an 820mm door and frame.
    What is the grey area that location 3 connects to?

3. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

No need to put in steps.It is same level.
    It is around 1.5 m.
    location 3 connects to driveway.

4. budgetbathrooms

budgetbathrooms Member

1) Is it possible to do this? - Yes if we followed deemed to satisfy requirements from the national construction code and find a solution to a door opening in front of stairs.

2) Will it need council approval? - Depends if there are any structural changes, which as one wall is external will most likely need approval.
    3) Is there anything I need to consider if I were to think on this relocation of entrance - possibility of a cavity slider instead of a regular door.
    4) And any idea on cost.
    Costs probably around 5-10 thousand, depending on structural works and permits required. Again this is a rough estimate, anyone who comes along and says less than 4-5k is not a builder.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Jul, 2019
  5. Squeakywheel

Squeakywheel Well-Known Member

If you move the front door, how difficult will it be to move furniture into the house?

6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I remember looking at a townhouse that had this sort of front door opening onto stairs, and thought it was too narrow & with no room to manoeuvre.