QLD REIQ Template - Landlords should oppose QLD Government's planned protections for COVID-19 tenants

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Blueskies, 14th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

There is a great email template on this website and the premiers email address. It took me <2 Mins to send the email with my name at the bottom, encourage others to do the same.

NedKelly, Hetty and HUGH72 like this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

So moving forward from all the rumour and getting "Facts" from Domain (which sells advertising) rather than quoting the state govt's actual press release.

Hands up if you just viewed the REIQ presentation, like @Blueskies, and sent the prepared email as directed by someone who is actually smarter than any of us when it comes to these matters.

Way to Go Ms M

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Here is a link originally posted by @HUGH72 for a template from The REIQ. I've emailed in my name and hubby's name tonight before the live FB event from REIQ (can still watch it on their FB page).

We have eight days to email the template in this link to the email address also in the link.

REIQ | Everone Matters: Review of Special COVID-19 Protections Needed

The more people who do this, the more likely the government might realise it is not fair on landlords to give tenants such power.

If you want to watch the FB live presentation (recorded live 7.30pm tonight but able to be viewed on FB), then you will find it here. It is a clear rundown of the changes, how they are very unfair for landlords.

The REIQ

Gockie, thesuperman, 1961 and 14 others like this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thank you Wylie

5. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

This Labor State Government has gone too far. Maybe they should go.
    @$%^&*((₩€_/:oops::oops::oops:

6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

wow.. this is something else. If this doesn’t initiate a property market crash, nothing will.

So the tenant may be entitled to a 12month waiver, with no recourse for the LL, while possibly not showing proof of hardship..
    and the landlord, a 6month deferral, which will require paying interest on interest..

And even if a distressed landlord needs to sell, the tenant could prevent them?
    Houston, we have a problem :eek:

1961, Antoni0, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  7. Property101

Property101 Well-Known Member

Please go to the window and open.

Scream I"m as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!

8. abc_123

abc_123 Well-Known Member

And after that 12 months can the rent go back to normal again or can it only be increased by some small amount each year because tenant can't be expected to adjust to such a big jump and we can't have the tenant being given a notice to vacate for some otherwise valid reason in some "retalitory" way because they were in hardship...

vbplease likes this.
  9. vbplease

There’s already legislation preventing excessive rent hikes.. safe to assume rent can only increase in small increments
    Refer RTA;

If the tenant still feels the increase is excessive, they can apply for dispute resolution once the new agreement is signed. They may also apply to QCAT for a decision.

QCAT considerations:

• difference between the proposed and current rent

10. abc_123

abc_123 Well-Known Member

OK. So basically we must refuse to reduce rent except by a small amount in order to protect our interests. If tribunal are able to force us to reduce rent then so be it but you can't reduce rent by say 50% and then have that tenant getting to live there for years at basically that price even after they get their job back. Government has just ensured we can't afford to negotiate.

11. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Where's this speculation come from? I haven't seen it anywhere.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  12. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Selling is allowed and is one of the reasons a lease can be broken...

13. vbplease

Yes selling is allowed, mid-lease for example, but if the tenant wishes to stay, they can deny access to the property unless for emergency repair.. how does a distressed LL sell if nobody can access?

1961 likes this.
  14. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

I have been issued with a notice to leave. Do I have to leave?

You cannot be evicted for rent arrears due to financial distress caused by COVID-19. If you have received a notice to leave in these circumstances, you should contact the property manager or owner to discuss this and negotiate a way to manage the issue.

There are approved reasons for ending a tenancy which will still apply. These include for example, where the premises are being sold or the owner is preparing the property for sale or there has been a serious unremedied breach by tenant (other than failure to pay rent due to hardship related to COVID-19).

15. vbplease

@Closet i’m not sure how your response addresses the (rhetorical) question I asked..

That is, tenant doesn’t want to leave (why would they if their rent is waived), and the LL needs to sell (they will be under a lot of pressure after the 6month deferral), but nobody can access the property unless for emergency repair.. won’t selling be a bit tricky?

1961 likes this.
  16. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

What the link implies is that normal practices apply...notice to leave is issued...business as usual... with same resolution and treatment if tenant refuses to leave in non COVID-19 times...

17. vbplease

@Closet how does a LL issue a notice to leave, mid-lease, if the tenant is not in breach?

1961 likes this.
  18. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

As per the link...usual process ...- The property manager/owner applies to QCAT to end the agreement due to excessive hardship (if they have evidence to support the application).

19. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

The FaceBook recording is here.
    For me, it's a little hard to concentrate at the start but once you get into it, you'd see the problem.
    Useful to have a notepad and pen ready.

Gockie and Phineas like this.
  20. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Done.. while I sort of understand where they are coming from, Queensland's proposal seems ridiculous, even compared to NSW and VIC's similarly proposed legislation.

mun5, wylie and Pumpkin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.