Reimbursment or lower sale price

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Big Will, 11th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Your choice

1. Lower sale price

2. Reimbursment/refund at settlement

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Want to get your opinion on which way you would handle a situation.

You have signed a contract with a vendor and it was accepted for $500,000.

Later you find an issue (pick anything) but request $50,000 to proceed either through a lower sale price or refund/reimbursement at settlement.

Which would you choose?

Lowering the sale price would mean less stamp duty being paid (stamp on 450k) but you wont have access to the money and if you were to sell you would need to pay more in CGT.

Getting the refund means you will have to pay stamp on the full amount (500k), but will have access to the money (50k) and will pay less CGT if you were to sell.

Let me know your thoughts and does it change your decision if you had 10k in the bank after the sale compared to 100k or 1M?

Finally would it change it the issue was an easement that got you 50k back compared to a building issue which would cost to repair?

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

An allowance usually, otherwise all paperwork will be stuffed and need re doing. Also you both signed contract, check with solicitor.

You wont get cash, lender will only pay the agreed LVR usually.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is refund/reimbursement at time of settlement legal (stamp duty issues, CGT issues down the track, recorded sale price issue)?

4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Yes it is legal both solicitor (property lawyer) and mb know about it. Not that I would trust trust the mb of if it is legal but considering the solicitor suggested it and the mb knows of it.

Have I double check, no but makes sense to me and not my licence on the line.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes this is legal and happens from time to time. CGT should be effected, stamp duty might tho.

You should disclose to the lender though and they would reduce the loan amount to reflect

Big Will likes this.
  6. wylie

I guess it is only the reverse situation that is not legal... selling for $550k but putting $500k on the contract and asking for the extra $50k in cash?

7. Terry_w

That is legal.

Big Will likes this.
  8. Terry_w

The fraud aspect may come into play if you are not paying CGT or Stamp duty at market values or deceiving a lender to lend you more money.

9. wylie

If you put $500k on the contract and ask an extra $50k in cash, how can that be legal? You would be paying stamp duty on $500k wouldn't you?

Edit: We were typing at the same time. I thought stamp duty was worked out on the contract price. And same with cost base for CGT purposes?

Why else would someone try to put a cheap contract price and pay extra cash? Sounds dodgy to me, but I'm sure you have the answer Terry. I've just always thought that was illegal (or fraudulent anyway).

10. Terry_w

How is it not legal?

11. Terry_w

Could be part of a scheme to launder money I guess. But having 2 contracts in itself is not illegal - one written and one oral.

12. Terry_w

Stamp duty and CGT are both worked out on market values.
    At face value the duty would be worked out based on the consideration listed in the transfer, but where this differs from the market value the OSR can ask you for more - if they catch on.

13. wylie

How do you pay stamp duty when you have an oral contract? I'm curious now.

Edit: Typing at the same time again. :p

14. Terry_w

Often transfers between family don't have contracts in written form - a valuation would be needed in this case.

15. wylie

Ahhhh... we've done that between family but still have used a contract and had documentation to back up the value. Anything else sounds a bit dodgy to me.

16. dabbler

I have not asked to try what Terry says, because it highly irritates everyone in the chain when you try and change the original contract price :)

17. Terry_w

Brokers and conveyancers see it all the time. Damage found just before settlement and a 'discount' is offered. Usually if it is a small amount it would just be reimbursed at settlement so save having to redo all docs again.

Big Will and kierank like this.
  18. wylie

But amounts like in the original post would not be considered a "discount" nor even a "small amount" would they. How often does this happen?

kierank likes this.
  19. dabbler

The amount would not matter, but you would have to consider that your paying stamp duty for nothing (and we already pay it for nothing, no stamp anymore)

There is the time issue too, 30 days in QLD and vendor could walk, do not trust them all to re do docs, hard enough to get them right the first time often it seems !

I was yelled at a few times, my broker at the time sick of doing loans I think :)

PS reminds me of a Rowan Atkinson skit where he asked, Am I paying for this abuse or is it all part of the service....or some such.

20. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@Big Will, good question.

Never been in that scenario. I would have at a guess that I would go for reimbursement at settlement and put the $50K in that loan's Offset account, especially if I didn't have lots of spare cash. Then I would use the cash to fix up the building issues.

There would come a time when I would take the lower price. Say, If I had $500K or $1M in cash already in Offset account, I would bother about getting $50K more :) :).

Big Will likes this.