Refinance Property Post Divorce

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Bon_E, 7th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bon_E

Bon_E Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some advice for my partner who is currently going through the process of finalising his divorce.

In short: he has signed consent orders from the courts which state that he is to take ownership of the property. The mortgage & title is currently in both his and his ex's name.

He wants to refinance in his name only, however there seems to be some confusion regarding what paperwork needs to be signed in order to do this. His lawyer originally said he & the ex both need to sign the relevant Transfer form to allow her name to be taken off the title. Our wonderful mortgage broker agreed with that. His lawyer is now saying that apparently he doesn't need to transfer form in order to refinance? His ex's lawyer told his ex to refuse to sign the transfer form until it's refinanced! :eek:

Is anyone here about to point me in the right direction so we can go back to the lawyers a bit better informed? Google has suggested a transfer form is required for a refinance :rolleyes:

Thank you!

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

To transfer title the mortgage will need to be discharged and relodged at settlement. To change the loan he will need to reapply and to change the mortgage he the ownership must change but this all happens at settlment

Bon_E likes this.
  3. Bon_E

Bon_E Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry I was hoping you'd reply. So if I'm understanding correctly, he can proceed with organising the refinance however the transfer document must be ready to go so it can be transferred when the new loan is settled?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The transfer doc will need to be done before settlement

Bon_E likes this.