Refinance for a longer term with the same bank

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by SimonJackson, 28th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SimonJackson

SimonJackson Member

Hi

I have a couple of loans with CBA and quite happy with them. Is it possible to refinance with the same bank just on increase the loan term from 20 to 30 years, so that I have to pay less each month and my serviceablility increases, hence increasing my borrowing power?

I think the term for this is debt recycling?

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

It's usually possible to carry out an internal refi with the same lender to extend the term.

Debt recycling is paying down PPOR debt - and then re-borrowing to invest.

Cheers

Jamie

craigc likes this.
  3. SimonJackson

SimonJackson Member

Thanks Jamie. Would it be better in this environment to go with a different bank, with all the cashback offers available?

I'm currently paying 3.03% variable rate for both the investment loans with CBA

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Not debt recycling but certainly possible to do.

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Yep - it's worth looking around IMO. See what CBA are willing to offer - and compare it to others.

Cheers

Jamie

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Sounds like you're paying P&I on your investments - might be worth getting a broker to take a look at your current structure to see if it's as efficient as it could be.

7. Czechy

Czechy New Member

I'm assuming if you want to extend your loan term you'd have to go through a full assessment again? I'd like to do this at the moment but because I'm an expat my income shading has meant I can't as I don't pass the serviceability requirements. I've found this strange as if I'm with the same lender on P+I terms I don't see the increased risk...

8. SimonJackson

SimonJackson Member

Yes, going through a full assessment is an issue for me too

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Someone asked me about this and I suggested they calculate the total repayments under the 25 and 30 year option and compare the cost difference. Its signifcant. Not the savings but the extra cost. Be wary too on the retirement cliff. If 30 years extends you past expected retirement years there could be other issues to consider. eg are you later seeking to upgrade own home? And sometimes thing happen that affect the retireplan like redundancy, illness etc. Lost job etc ...Are you pushing too hard ? What does broker say ?

eg $1m over 30 years is say $4490 per month. Total payments $1.61m v 25 years is say $5006 pm. Total $1.5m.
    Lender servicing may be based on an assumed rate of 7% not say 3.5% too. It could also reduce capacity to borrow by reducing the repayments ?

The changes assume rates will be flat or fall dont they ? What happens if rates rise ?