Refinance but with same lender

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Mlee17, 23rd Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mlee17

Mlee17 Well-Known Member

Hi all

I was having a discussion with a mate and apparently he was advised that a "refinance" to unmix mixed loan does not have to be with a different lender but as long as the loan is split with the same lender, it's considered a refinance by the ato?

Really? Sounds bit weird.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Perhaps.

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

not a tax guy...............

But I cant see why an internal refi isnt the same for tax purposes as an external refi. Shuffling splits without new loans being drawn to pay out the mess may not be ok .

Thats the problem with pub talk................one really needs specific advice

ta
    rolf

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

For the purposes of a internal refinance (ie same lender) the ATO adopt the view that the mortgage must change for residual borrowing expenses to be claimed at the point of refinance. You cant go from a variable loan to fixed with different account numbers as no DISCHARGE of the mortgage occurs. It is maintained using different account details.

For the purposes of the refinance for a loan split to correct a blended loan there is no requirement to use a external lender. A internal refinance MAY be OK. They key issue is determining what the $$$ to split are. You cant just look back and say hey I used $100K three years ago for a reno and therefore I need to split out $100K today. Instead a calc of the % that relates to the $100K needs to be made and then that % of the present loan balance is likely the value to split out. LOCs, cards and other revolving forms of credit can be very complicated and difficult to apportion.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

A refinance is using one loan to pay out another. Our clients do it all the time without changing lenders or even loans. Redrawing from one loan and paying into another is a refinance.

Get tax advice.