Reducing taxable income

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by robbie_p, 15th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am busy with my 2015 tax return which is being prepared by a tax consultant, who offers a very basic service, but seems to do the job for me in terms of submission of my tax returns.

I currently own 2 investment properties and a PPOR and I need to try reduce my taxable income by a $1-2k (i know, probably something i should have looked at during the 2015 tax year).

Are there any things i could throw in as "IP property related expenses" or creative (yet legal) ways of reducing my taxable income slightly?

Perhaps people / motor car related expenses or tools acquired (which i plan to use to renovate my IPs), which i have receipts for.

BTW.. im also a salaried employee.

Cheers,
    Robbie

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Depreciation

3. robbie_p

Yup, i have a schedule for both my properties.

4. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Tax Agent Fees? Has this been included? Not that it would be 2k but it would help. May seem obvious but does get missed from time to time.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

What has been claimed so far? What does the accountant recommend?

- last years tax return fees
    - charity donations
    - home office items (computer depreciation etc)
    - actual home office depreciation (beware may affect PPOR non CGT)
    - IP items which can be immediately written off as repairs not depreciation
    - IP items which can be immediately written off due to low value
    - interest on credit card used to purchase IP items
    - travel/car for IP inspections
    - self education (for your salaried job)
    - work related expenses (for your salaried job)

** note I'm not an accountant and these are just my random thoughts and may not be valid

JohnPropChat and Perthguy like this.
  6. robbie_p

Thanks!

What about out of pocket medical expenses?

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I think he was asking about the 14-15 FY

10. Paul@PAS

I always start with the question - Why ?...Do you need to bring income down by $2k ? Generally that question indicates you may have broken the Medicare Levy Surcharge cap and want to avoid it.

Isnt the issue that taxpayers generally should claim all deductions available. Thereafter trying to bring it down further reflects either :
    A. Deductions not claimed (Im sure the tax adviser would be the best to ask) or
    B Fraud... So take care here.

Now if its rental expenses you want find these WILL NOT affect the Medicare Levy Surcharge. Levies and add ons like HELP are based on Adjusted Taxable Income. ATI takes taxable income and adds back net rental losses...

Info here on MLS and ATI: http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/insurancerebate.htm

If that's the case you are also 4 months into the same problem this year.

11. Paul@PAS

And that's exactly what I meant. If you were not eligible in 2013 you could not claim in 2014 and if you were not eligible in 2013 AND 2014 you cant claim in 2015.

Propertunity likes this.
  12. robbie_p

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice!

With regards to why i want to reduce my taxable income was that my wife, for centrelink purposes, provided a taxable income amount of $X and we were over by about $1000, which wasnt a bad estimate, so i just wanted to get it a close to this figure as possible.

Cheers,
    Robbie

13. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

This doesn't help this year and may not suit your investment profile. However in future years you could always run your numbers in March along side your tax variation and may consider salary sacrificing to super to reduce your taxable income (especially if its is 1-2K). Make sure your contribution limit is not reached.....

14. BennEznElle

BennEznElle Well-Known Member

thats not going to help for Centrelink purposes though because they use the Adjusted Taxable income which includes Reportable Super Contributions.

15. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

My bad....didn't know that.

16. Paul@PAS

Centrelink will use Adjusted Taxable Income so forget using rental losses to achive this. Employees of entities that can pay exempt fringe benefits are about the only ones who can still play these games. And they are on the budget radar !!

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF