QLD Redcliffe?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Lawrence Barnes, 29th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lawrence Barnes

Lawrence Barnes Well-Known Member

What are people's thoughts on Redcliffe in QLD?

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Tom Rivera, MorganHB, Gockie and 2 others like this.
  3. Lawrence Barnes

Very funny, but not very useful.

Tom Rivera and Colin Rice like this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Redcliffe has long term potential but try to stay near the water! (East of Oxley). You'll pay more for it but that's where you find the Next Gen and Urban zonings plus near the water will always obtain a premium. I love the feel of Redcliffe... Good markets, good feel. 100% love the lagoon too.

5. Gockie

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You got the trifecta - Scarborough, Redlands and Sydney. But even my home is warmer than Brisbane in Winter and cooler in Summer.

Those poor folks in Logan and Ipswich..........

Gockie likes this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

OK, seriously

Firstly do you mean Redcliffe 4020 or the the part of Moreton Bay Regional Council LGA that used to be Redcliffe Shire? Personally I dont like the suburb of Redcliffe that most people think of - creepily stuck in the 1950s then add some high rises. The commercial section along the beachfront is gentrifying but still butt ugly in my opinion. Potential? However drive twenty metres north on Prince Edward Parade through the canopy of trees and it's another world. Lovely residential section and very expensive (by local standards).

Continue north to Scarborough 4020 and you are into the 21st Century. Every second property (ok, an exaggeration) has been replaced with a gorgeous white beach house and has a huge boat parked in the front yard. There is another high rise quarter in Scarborough including the new "resort" that replaces the old pub. Any oversupply had been absorbed but I dont know about this new one that is currently being developed. High rises are either five or eight storeys.

The canal estates of Newport were originally part of Scarborough but have since been given its own suburb status. Huge blocks of land, massive dark brick 1980s homes and even bigger boats. During the property slump about five years ago you could relieve an elderly couple of their nautical-themed mc mansion for several hundred thousand dollars less than they are now.

Once you pass Newport you go into the low socio economic suburbs of Kippa Ring and Deception Bay. Kippa Ring is the end of the train line which terminates into a cavern of very cheap units surrounding the bitumin car park. Some would argue this suburb is the one with the most potential to improve.

Margate is the first suburb south of Redcliffe and rather ho-hum residential. Again gentrifying, a mix of old and renovated, not as much "new". Nice beachfront walkway/bikeway. The first property that attracted us to the region, about twenty years ago, was an old weatherboard house in Albert St three or four up from the esplanade. It has since been extended and renovated, probably worth close to a million by now. Two property slumps ago it was listed for $360k.

Woody Point and Clontarf are the southern suburbs, similar story to the others. There is an open concrete drain that flows through the middle of Clontarf down to the waterfront - stay away from it. There are other drains along the coast to be aware of when doing DD.

There are some very nice properties all along the ridge west of Oxley Avenue so not everything west is undesirable. Think over-used cliches.
    I would suggest purchasers avoid any low-lying land no matter how cheap it is. The tip of Scarborough Point goes under, as does parts of Clontarf, Deagon, Brighton and Sandgate. Common sense is free and most of the region is elevated.

DCTY, Goldie, Tom Rivera and 7 others like this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You cant get too far away from the water.

Attached Files:

9. Gockie

I'd never previously seen the red cliff of Redcliffe...

10. Gockie

+1 on the loveliness of this area. Gorgeous. :)

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

12. Lawrence Barnes

Yes I have heard east of Oxley is the prime spot to be. Thanks for the advice.

13. Gockie

That or go to the north - Scarborough area then you don't have to stay East of Oxley.

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  14. Lawrence Barnes

Thanks for all the info.

15. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I always thought Redcliffe was Bogan Central on the Northside, bit like Bogan Logan on the Southside.

We looked at buying our downsizing property around Redcliffe but decided not too. We picked the Gold Coast instead. With the growth we have always got, I am really glad we did :).

Apparently, some really nice people have bought around Redcliffe :):).

Angel and Gockie like this.
  16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The problems with buying a lovely waterfront home at Newport or near the Scarborough marina is that you migtht end up looking west.

Our balcony only gets water views when the neighbours cut back their trees :(

17. Lawrence Barnes

What nice people are you referring to?

18. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

The ones that liked my post :)

Gockie likes this.
  19. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Its a great location but the "architecture" of the old 50's houses is the worst!Think of a cardboard box with cheap windows. Nice timber floorboards tho

Angel likes this.
  20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

So much opportunity to gentrify, @New Town.

New Town likes this.