Record Keeping (CGT / Estate) - Shares / LICs / ETFs ...

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Nodrog, 5th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

No. That is reserved for whether I make a full English breakfast, keep it simple with oatmeal and fruit or disturb fellow breakfasters by rolling up in grungy jeans I've worn for the previous four days but haven't bothered to wash from the last time I wore them. No need to contemplate coffee as it's a given. A simple life.

My thinking about it was if an element affects the cost-base in some way better keep it and the response by @Paul@PFI in a different thread to this one seemed to have aspects of that.

2. SatayKing

In this thread vanguard australia [Managed Funds] @Absent asked about record keeping.

Given the recent tragic event in New Zealand it may be prudent for some to think "What if it was me and what would be necessary to finalise my estate."

Awful thing to raise at this time I know but that is what is going to face the relatives or business partners of those who have died.

Terry_w and Redwing like this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I had involvement with a German company that lost its staff, offices and all records in the world trade centre. Auditors in every country had to assist the shipping company with reconstruction based on their records and those of suppliers and customers. A massive and very costly job paid by a insurer.

4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

My method is simple, 1 folder for my long held shares [all dividend statements with buy/sell documentation] with my Will & bank details, another folder for my dividend stripping activities with buy/sell documentation. My children know where they are kept ... :D

willair likes this.
  5. SatayKing

Having lived in Canberra in 2003 and seeing people left with nothing; no documents; no clothes; absolutely zilch, paper records I finally realised were not going to cut it for me. Should crap hit, at the minimum I can at least to put (hope?) the portable SSD Hard Drive in a pocket so I have some possibility of rebuilding my life.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have same but with a duplicate synch into a cloud based location. Photos videos the lot.

7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Same here. Love Cloud sync.

8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Changing default drive (c) in Google Drive after setup.
    Apparently I think selecting the Drive choice during setup used to be an option but the idiots removed it.

Anyhow the work around:

Changing Drive Location in Google Drive

When you download Google Drive to your PC a default folder will be created in C:\Users\[your name]\Google Drive. If you want to change the name or location of this folder you can do so by following the steps below:

Click on the Google Drive icon in your system tray
    Choose Quit Google Drive
    Now move the Google Drive folder within Windows Explorer to a new location - or rename it
    Restart Google Drive from Start --> All Programs
    Google Drive will warn you that it can't find the folder, click on the Google Drive icon again and choose Error - Google Drive folder is missing
    A window will open up, choose Locate folder and go find the new Google Drive folder.

9. SatayKing

Right, so the Disconnect facility and selecting Advance Settings to change location when re-setting up Google Drive has been removed? Purely out of interest I may explore this further.

10. SatayKing

If you have done a foolish thing, removed yourself as administrator and set up a password protected alter-ego as administrator make sure you remember the password! Can cause some difficulty installing programs and the like otherwise.

Nodrog likes this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I think so from memory. Given I function almost entirely off my IPad now I decided I didn’t need a PC anymore given my wife has a PC. I installed Google Drive on her PC awhile back simply as local physical storage for same. That’s about the only thing I use her PC for. It was when I was installing GDrv on her PC recently that I came across the default drive issue.

Syncing of the cloud data to the newly installed GDrv was a breeze. It all just happened like magic. And that was after I realised mid way through the process it needed to be on D Drive, not C. I stopped it mid stream, changed the drive location using the work around and kicked it off again with fingers crossed. It was smart enough to know the location had changed and finished syncing the remaining data.

TAJ and SatayKing like this.
  12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Excel SpreadsheetThere was this on Market Index, has anyone seen any other ASX record keeping spreadsheets worth a mention

Download a portfolio management spreadsheet to make tax time easier.

It's unlocked and you're free to manipulate it to suit your requirements.

I'll be releasing the final version to all Email subscribers in a few weeks (so please don't pass this on to anyone else). On the website for a while now so dont think this applies

Link:

You may need to right-click and "Save as.."

13. SatayKing

Had a play around and I believe you're correct with GDrv removing the ability to change the location. Rather a pity.

None of which I am aware. Probably very useful for those who are actively involved in such matters.

For me I don't consider presenting approximately 25 documents a year for the SMSF would make record keeping using a spreadsheet worthwhile. For personal holdings it'd be around 40 so still not a task which would require a spreadsheet in my opinion.

14. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I just changed my google drive around from one account to another and worked this out.
    It is very confusing, after 2 hours I think I understand it.

If you have a folder on your computer and want this synced to google drive, and across to other computers do this.

When setting up preferences on back up and sync, just leave the my computer blank.

Then in google drive you select the folder you want synced - this can be on other drive.

And that is it.

I had the problem of selecting the relevant folder in my computer and then in the google drive tab I was unable to select the same folder as it was already selected.

If you want to change drives or locations, just change it in the google drive tab in preferences

Nodrog and SatayKing like this.
  15. SatayKing

LOL.

It would seem there is becoming a need for a dedicated thread on:

"How to solve your computer, program and software issues along with other bits and pieces and stuff like that."

KayTea likes this.
  16. SatayKing

Noticed with Dropbox the location can be changed on the fly from C: to D: No issues doing it as far as I can see.

I realised I had also included for some reason documents for entities I no longer control and for which all the historical information has been handed over. One of the aspects of simply selecting the parent folder and not checking. Probably goes against the grain for many but, after archiving the information elsewhere, I deleted those particular details in Dropbox.

Nodrog likes this.
  17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Great! Now I've got more work to do! Haha.
    Stop coming up with smart ideas....

18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Will give you something to do in between fishing trips:).

19. SatayKing

Nope.

My thinking is once you've decided on the structure, file naming and all the rest, leave it and don't mess around with it unless it is absolutely essential.

A free tip given by the master of "mess around with it" aspect.

Nodrog likes this.
  20. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Bit off topic but after reading comments on wills and funerals.....

If you have time please watch "Knives Out" movie

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF