Recommended builder for building under highset (Logan)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Kai41314, 9th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kai41314

Kai41314 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I need to get some quotes for building under highset in Logan. Can anyone recommend some good builders?

I have contacted one builder and he told me it will take 3 months because I want to add a new bathroom. Isn't it too long?

Thanks,
    Kai

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Because 2 months and 2 weeks of that 3 months is going to be waiting and delays (and then more waiting). Welcome to the world of tradies.

Kai41314 likes this.
  3. Kai41314

So far I found three builders as listed below. Has anyone dealt with them before?
    1. Urban Scene Construction
    2. City Limited
    3. Aaron Brown Construction

4. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I've been told 6 months to get a granny flat done... :mad:

5. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Have a look at http://www.homeimprovementpages.com.au/

Someone suggested it to me when we desperately needed a sparky in VIC for an emergency job, (long story, United Energy basically condemned our electrics and cut us off until we got a partial re-wire).

You put in the location, details, budget and time frame of what you want done then if anyone is interested in your brief they make contact to come and quote. Hipages put the first three respondants on to you, after that they queue any further respondants up in case you knock back any of the first three and still want more quotes.

I rang and rang and rang trying to find an emergency sparky that could sort us out, no one was interested. Someone told me to try hipages, I didn't hold much hope but thought nothing to lose. I had three calls within an hour, one guy came out and quoted but couldn't do the work for a couple of days, the second guy quoted over the phone via photo's, re-shuffled his schedule and came out the next day to sort it all out for me. Top bloke and is now my go-to sparky.

I tried them again when I needed the front veranda re-built. 3 guys contacted my the day I submitted, 2 came straight out, one came out the next day. I didn't like one of them, the other two were neck and neck in terms of price and gut-feel so I went with the first responder. He turned out to be AMAZING. what a ripper of a job he's done, and he is also now my go-to builder/carpenter.

They have a review system so you can see the feedback of the tradies that have responded to your request.

Cheers.

Andrew H and Kai41314 like this.
  6. Kai41314

Is it better than serviceseeking.com and servicecentral.com?

Last edited: 5th Oct, 2015
  7. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Don't know, I've never used them, or any other for that matter. All I can say is it worked really well both times I used it, I was very surprised just how well it worked BUT it will be wholly dependent on the work you are after, and the user base of tradies looking at that particular time I guess.

The thing is, it doesn't cost you anything so you have nothing to lose plus if you put your budget and time criteria in you should any get responses from people that fit that criteria. You might get lucky with a builder that's between jobs or something?

8. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Hi Kai,

Did you end up finding someone? I'm in the same boat so would appreciate if you or anyone on this forum has used someone before and can recommend them.

Cheers,
    David

9. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

+1 here.
    I am looking for someone to build under my Highset within the next year or so.

10. Kai41314

I got a quote from another builder for $38K. I have decided to leave it for now. Will look into it again next year. I am also considering to build a detached granny flat next year instead of building under.

So far I couldn't see people recommend builders on the forum. Don't know why...

By the way, my PM said builders are very busy at the moment so delay is expected. (Lots of investors are doing the similar thing)

If you find anyone good, please don't forget to let me know.

Last edited: 9th Oct, 2015
  11. MPK

MPK New Member

Hi Kai,
    Did you end up building under? Wondering how much it all ended up costing? Looking at doing something similar in Brisbane but have heard such mixed reviews. I'm thinking plumbing/electricity etc would add up too.